FCE4, Mavericks, and old DV camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mccjim12, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mccjim12, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

mccjim12 macrumors member

Looking for some help with a capture problem here...

I am running Final Cut Express 4 on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro that is running 10.9.4.

I am trying to capture from a Canon ZR60 via the computer's Firewire 800 port using a Firewire 800 cable connected to a 6 pin adapter that came with it and a 4 pin (iLink DV) adapter, which in turn connects to the camera.

I know 2 adapters is kind of ridiculous but it is what I had at my disposal and I saw no reason why it shouldn't work. But I am kind of a dinosaur with Final Cut. I have not used anything higher than FCP5. So I figured I would reach out.

FCE (and the computer as a whole) will not recognize the camera as connected. I have checked all settings in FCE easy setup. System Profiler does not see it and FCE says no Firewire capture device is found.

Is it just not possible since I have a (relatively) new computer and an old camera? Maybe the camera does not support Firewire 800?

My backup plan is to capture using my PowerBook G4 which of course has a Firewire 400 port. But that would require ordering a new power supply which is not ideal!

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have had a ton of trouble on a variety of machines when I've tried to capture from an DV device (even HDV devices too) using FW800. I just stopped trying and, at an old job, we had one tower that had FW400 and we captured everything on that machine.

3. mccjim12 thread starter macrumors member

Much appreciated. Yeah, I think I might just go that route at this point.

4. ColdCase, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I am able to capture from cannon HD DVT cameras via FW 800 to a recent rMBP but typically go back to my old MacPro setup.

I use a mini to "normal" FW cable and a 400 to 800 FW cable, a old FW400 enclosure, and a FW to TB adapter. I didn't get there by design, just thats is what I happen to have in the junk box :)

The mini connector plugs into the camera, the other end into an old FW 400 drive enclosure. I connect the FW 400/800 cable between the drive enclosure and TB adapter and plug the adapter into my early 2014 rMBP (which runs 10.9.5).

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You should have iMovie on your Mac. Does that recognise the camcorder?