FCE4 tutorial book - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Courtaj, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

New to FCE4. Is the Diana Weynand book the go, or do people have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew.

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

doesnt apple have one?

oh wait nvm. yea the Diana Weynand one would be good, i would suggest reading the reviews on the book first, see what everybody has to say about her expertise in the program

3. Courtaj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Thanks.

Clearly the manual is the place to start (though at 1152 pages I won't be printing it out any time soon), but I'm after something with basic tutorials to get me into the swing of things.

Does anyone have experience with the Weynand book - "Final Cut Express 4 (Apple Pro [cough] Training)" - or any others?

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Have you watched the basic tutorials on apple.com? They could be a good starting point as to what is going on in FCE 4

Here's a link

5. Courtaj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Thanks for the link. Yes, I've watched those. Looking for something with a little more "meat" now. :)

6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Great, well then I'd take a look here. Some of the tutorials are kinda old and on later versions of Final Cut Pro but the workflow is pretty much the same and you can begin to see what filters are available to you in FCE. Also I'd just look at any other tutorials on Final Cut Pro because you won't find much on FCE but the concepts are still there.

Also check out emeek77 on youtube (his tutorials, not his mac rants) or his website because he does give some good help using Final Cut. It's right here

7. Courtaj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

8. computerjunkie macrumors member

This place is great IMHO.

www.lynda.com

Its a pay site, but reasonably priced. For 25 bucks a month you can get tutorials on a BUNCH of stuff. You can cancel anytime...no contracts or anything. No I am not involved with the company...I just subscribed and used them to get going in Final Cut.

Regards.

G.

9. raxafarian macrumors regular

I'll second lynda.com

So far I've watched their Lightroom and Photoshop stuff. Excellent. I've just started watching the final cut express material. Seems good too. They cover many types of software. I found a coupon somewhere for a discount on the annual fee.... do a google search.