FCP 11 at Mac Pro event next Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacSawdust, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MacSawdust macrumors member

Ever since 2001, FCP has had a whole number version update every two years. Now is the time for FCP 11. It would make a great companion to the new Mac Pro. And a reason to buy a new Mac Pro.

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Probably FCPX 10.1, also see this at the bottom of the Final Cut Pro X page:

fcpx.jpg

Note that they say "New Version of Final Cut Pro X" not new version of Final Cut Pro.

3. MacSawdust thread starter macrumors member

For marketing reasons, I think FCP 11 would have a bigger impact.
    10.1 sounds like a tweek.
    Of course, you would have to improve FCP enough to warrant the number "11"...

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I agree with you there, however their point releases (10.0.1, 10.0.2 etc) have actually been mostly tweaks with 10.0.3 and 10.0.6 being more feature updates. 10.1 seems to line up with OSX type of updates. I think this will be their new updating scheme going forward with 10.2 next year.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Considering they have basically pre-announced it, I am assuming the update will be more than just optimisations for the Mac Pro.

I would personally like to see a better image stabiliser (bringing it to the same kind of level as the warp stabiliser in After Effects), plus built-in lens correction. As more and more people are using action cams these days (for both commercial and personal use), having the facility to better clean up that footage could be a big selling point of FCP X.1.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP X is the name of the program the same way that OS X is the name of the operating system. Same with Logic X. I think it's a unified branding strategy.

7. MacSawdust thread starter macrumors member

I would love to see a beefy update to FCP worth paying for. However, the Mac App store does not seem to have a mechanism to offer discounted upgrades to current owners. It's either a free "point" update, or buy a new version of the app. They need to change that someday.

8. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That could just be the tradeoff to having low pricing to begin with.

9. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

10. mBox macrumors 68020

Not holding my breath :)

At its current state, I am happy with FCPX offerings.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

12. Siderz macrumors 6502a

This sounds weird, but perhaps they'll bring in-app purchases to the current version of FCPX :p

Or does the Mac App Store not have in-app purchases like iOS?