FCP: 2 hr render for every 2 minutes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by boast, Jun 29, 2008.

1. boast macrumors 65816

boast

of footage in NTSC 720x480 (on a macbook with 2ghz C2D 2gb ram) is normal, right?

I think I might start using premiere pro, since it doesn't require rendering. These 30 hour renders are killing me, especially when I have things do. One week is spent just importing and rendering the video. Then rendering 20 hour renders for every little effect that I put.

Now I know why people create beowulf clusters of 30 G4's just to render things.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Going on the wealth of info you provide I'm going to assume that your footage and sequence settings don't match. Assuming you are in the DV format choose the DV-NTSC Easy Setup, create a new sequence, then drop your footage into that.

Lethal

3. boast thread starter macrumors 65816

boast

whats the sequence settings for a video being imported as 702x326 H264 in an AVI file container.

I had it set to NTSC-DV 720x480

sequence and the clip are both H264

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

h.264 is designed as a delivery codec not an editing codec and FCP is based around Quicktimes so milage using AVIs will vary. Your best bet is to transcode the footage into something else (DV, DVCPro50, etc.,). Which version of FCP do you have?

Lethal

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You nailed it. AVIs will require the OP to render every second of it, essentially asking the computer to pull the info out of the container file (which takes time) convert it to something useful, then create the new vid file (which takes more time).

The fact that you are using a Mac Book isn't helping either. Not that it's not a good machine, but that version only supports 2GBs which is what FCP and Rendering in general will use a lot of.

Going to Premier won't help since it uses the GFX card to kill the rendering issue, and the Mac Books card isn't that good.