FCP 4GB RAM limit - out of memory!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maddler, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Maddler macrumors member

:mad:
    So my last project - the first one on my new 3.2 octo with 20 GB RAM - and I'm getting out of memory errors in FCP. I thought at first it was a permissions or bad preferences problem, but it turns out that I actually pushed Final Cut too far and it exceeded it's 4GB RAM limit. Soooo ... does anyone have any info from Apple about when they might upgrade FCP to use more RAM?

2. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

None of Apple's applications are 64-bit yet. The operating system has all the parts and pieces in place to make it so. The applications will need to be modified, recompiled, and relinked to make them all 64-bit.

Apple's made no public noises (that I'm aware of) about 64-bit apps. One assumes that it WILL happen, at some point. But it's anyone's guess as to when.

jas (waiting for the same damn thing!)

3. Maddler thread starter macrumors member

Argh, so how many years has it been since Apple advertised the original G5 as being the world's first 64 bit computer - and the apps still can't leverage that power?! I mean my 20 GB of RAM is great for multi-tasking and running Windows in Fusion, but come on Apple - where's the love for FCP?