FCP 5.1 and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 1989fj62, Dec 8, 2010.

1. 1989fj62 macrumors newbie

I have searched the forums and have found info that backup Apples claim of FCP 5.1 not being supported with Snow Leopard. However I have also seen post claiming that FCP 5.1 does work with no issues on Snow Leopard. What has been your experience with FCP and SL?? I guess Im just looking for a general consensus on this issue.

Currently running Tiger but I have a unused SL disk that has been sitting on my desk for almost a year now (bought with intention of moving to SL but stopped after Apples claim that FCP 5.1 not supported). Thinking of moving to SL soon. Opinions, experiences and comments welcome? I edit as a hobby and I am in no position to move into FCP 7. Thanks.

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I no longer user Final Cut Pro, but I remember that it was already a pain to get Aperture and Final Cut installed on Leopard -- it had to be done in a specific order (including updates), or otherwise the installer would fire a lot of error messages. However, that was with the release version of Leopard - 10.5.0, it got better with the 10.5.2 update.

Snow Leopard, of course, also broke a lot of applications when it was released, but the current patches fixed most of it. (Unfortunately, 10.6.5 broke some of it again - Safari and Vienna, for example, crash a lot now.)

Anyway. If you need Final Cut for professional reasons, you should stay with it on a supported platform. If Apple says that Snow Leopard does not support your version of Final Cut, then don't upgrade to Snow Leopard. Tiger is faster than Leopard and Snow Leopard, but if you want to upgrade then you will find that Leopard already has all of the "cool" features and that Snow Leopard mostly was a re-write of things "under the hood", and you probably won't miss them (yet).

One last comment: Photoshop CS3 officially also is not supported on Snow Leopard, but it runs flawlessly on my Snow Leopard machine.

Just because it is not supported does not mean that your software won't run. But don't expect an answer from Apple support when you call them - the only support that they will give you is to advice you to spend more money and upgrade to supported versions of the software.

3. 1989fj62 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info Winni. Im once again backing down and will be putting the unopened Snow Leopard back in storage. I really see no benefit in updating to SL at this time.

However I am still open to any input on this so feel free to post your experience with FCP 5.1 and SL? Anybody out there?