FCP 5 and Audio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dr. Jekyll, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Dr. Jekyll macrumors newbie

I'm working on a film project and I'm trying to import a VO/narration into Final Cut Pro. I have a .AIF .MP3 and a .WAV copy of the same narration. for some reason, it will not import.

These are the only recordings I have of the narration. FCP says "File Error: Unknown File" on each file I try to import. However, the files are not corrupt because they will open and play perfectly in Quicktime.

Any Ideas?
    (ps. i've tried exporting and saving them in different formats, they will import then, but it sounds terrible,scratchy, and distorted)

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

hhmm, that is strange, though i will just add, aiff's work best in final cut, and avoid mp3's, so id try the aiff again or re-encode the aiff, good luck

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I would have told you to export them from QuickTime... Not necessarily in a different format, though. Maybe the sample rate or bit depth are OK for QuickTime but not for FCP...

Since you have FCP, I assume you have QuickTime Pro. If you can open the AIF in QuickTime, can you export it from there as, again, an an AIF? Select some standard settings such as 48kHz and 16bits, FCP should have no trouble with it. And if it sounds good when played in QuickTime, the resulting export should sound fine, too.

Not sure if this helps - your problem sounds rather simple, so I wonder what I'm missing...

- Martin

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

What if you open your AIFF in Quicktime and export it as another AIFF once again? Assuming you match the sampling rates and resolution, you will not experience any quality loss.

5. koue macrumors newbie

re: FCP 5 and audio

I'm having the same problem. It's not a problem with the aiff files themselves, because audio files that previously were importable are now no good. Wavs too. Any thoughts? Re-exporting them through QT also doesn't work.

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

Could this be a file name bug? Try moving an AIFF file to your desktop and renaming it something like "test.aiff" and then importing it.
    I know it's a shot in the dark, but ... maybe?

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

First export the aiff in the same settings sample rate wise as your project. If it's DV, then most probably it will be set to 48Khz.
    Then try to do it through Quicktime or iTunes.

8. koue macrumors newbie

I downloaded FCP Rescue and that solved the problem instantly.

Great piece of software. It backsup/resets the preferences of Final Cut.

http://fcprescue.andersholck.com/

9. koue macrumors newbie

OK, so FCP Rescue worked beautifully for a while. Now the problem has occurred again, for video too. There is nothing wrong with either audio or video files (they originate from FCP, match project settings). Something's wrong with FCP. Any ideas?

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

try doing a repair permissions... if your still having problems i would do a re-install

11. chloe9 macrumors newbie

fcp 5 and quicktime...any thoughts??

I have a quicktime that was created in avid newscutter..it's a 7.0 quicktime with an animation codec and ima 4.1 audio...I can't get it to import into fcp 5..it says file error...something unknown....any thoughts when fcp5 has the same exact codecs available for export but won't import them??

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The file may be corrupt. Does it open up and play properly in QuickTime? You could also try transcoding into a different format.

Lethal

13. chloe9 macrumors newbie

fcp 5 and quicktime

it works fine in quicktime and will even import into imovie (but doesn't export well, go figure)..I will try transcoding and see what happens..thanks!