FCP 7 importing .mov files incorrectly

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by merlin22, Aug 17, 2011.

1. merlin22 macrumors newbie

Hopefully someone can help. I'm using FCP 7 and I'm trying to import a .mov file that is 848x480 into my project. However, every time I import it, the file shows up as 640x480. This happens before I even try to drag it onto the timeline.

Two things: I tried deleting my prefs and restarting. And I'm positive the file is 848x480.

Thanks for any ideas/help.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

3. merlin22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume you are referring to an anamorphic project setting. That doesn't seem to be the issue. The imported .mov still shows up as 640x480 if the project size is 720x480, for example.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You tried DV NTSC anamorphic? That worked for me once.

Is your footage squeezed in the Canvas or is it letterboxed?

5. merlin22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

It's squeezed. Right now my workaround is to manually pull the distortion handles to stretch the width until the movie clip is about the right size. That's obviously less than ideal.

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You do that with your first clip, then you can Copy > Paste Attributes to the rest. Goes a bit faster.

----------

... did you try to import your stuff into iMovie, then export the project to FCP?

7. merlin22 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, that's an interesting thought. I'll have to try that. I did try it with FCE and it gave me the same error.

8. VideoCave macrumors member

RE Quicktime

The reason you are having issues with this video is its aspect ration is wrong its not a native video size in anyway at all.

You have to reExport with correct settings.

1. Open with QTPro
    2. Choose the Quicktime movie export option
    3. Under the "Use" dropdown menu click on "Default Settings". This just gets things back to original export settings.

4. Click the "Options" button
    5. If there is sound to your video you don't need to do anything here, just make sure the box is checked. Now click on the "Size" button and choose "NTSC 720x480 16:9". Next click the "Settings" button and change the compression type to "Apple ProRes 422" also check to make sure Frame Rate is 29.97.

Now you can drop the video in the FCP timeline and auto conform your sequence to the video and everything should be fine.

Always make sure your video is similar to what I have described above and adjust settings whether its SD or HD video. Unless you have imported directly from a camera yourself, always check your video settings to make sure they correct for editing.

I will open the video in QTPro and open up the "Info" window and check the FPS, aspect ratio and video codec. If its an h.264 or mpeg, basically anything other then an uncompressed codec that FCP understands then reExport so its right.