FCP 7 on the MBP retina

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by glaseryaniv, Jun 23, 2012.

1. glaseryaniv macrumors member

Hey all.

Searched around for an opinion on this, but couldnt find anything.
    Are there any new rMBP users here editing on FCP7? I am thinking of getting the new rMBP and was wondering if it plays well with fcp7, and how the ui, and more importantly the content, looks on the new display.

Also, if anyone works with AVID as well it will help to know the same.

Thanks!

2. HMI, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

FPC7 is dead, unless you are planning on using it to convert your old archived projects to something useful in the future.

Everyone has either chosen avid, premiere pro, or decided they will keep playing with fcpx to see how it develops for their needs.

If you have fcp7 on an existing computer, I suggest you use the many tools available here:
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/resources/plugins.html
    http://automaticduck.com/products/pefcp/index.html
    http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/7toX/about.html

SPECIFICACALLY:
    Pro export fcp
    7toX
    etc.

To convert/re-archive your old projects/timelines to newer NLEs, so you can reuse them when necessary.

As far as the rMBP, if fcp7 even works on it, it will look ugly under the default "retina" display setting becuse fcp7 is not optimized for "retina". If you scale the display setting to "looks like 1920x1200", It should look fine. If it manages to run well, then you can do some fun playing around, but I would still recommend you spend your time learning/Working with newer NLEs.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but:
    High end professional (feature films, tv shows, commercials, etc) should be on avid media composer
    Mid-level prosumer/"professional" can be premiere pro (or maybe fcpx)
    And anything else can be whatever you choose for your preference.

I've used all of these NLEs, and I personally recommend Avid. It has been the professional standard for a long time, has amazing backward compatibility, is dependable for working with other post-production facilities, and complies with silly things like quality control and broadcast standards in case you want to put your cool new movie on a real screen.

I suggest you wait for avid to release an officially supported configuration for the new rMBP before making your purchase. In the mean time you can try their free demo to get used to the ui and workflow.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Try them all and see which tool will lead you down the path you want to travel.

3. TheHound macrumors newbie

Partially agree. FCP7 is very much alive in my clients' eyes and yes, we are "professionals", though I do cut longer pieces on Avid MC.. That being said, they sure as hell aren't going to FCPX. But we're moving to Premiere CS6.

I've been using FCP7 on a retina for a week, and it's fine, but I hate a 15" screen, so I'm going back to my 17". I noticed no difference in performance since FCP7 doesn't take advantage of the GPU (which is hobbled when running in the 1920x1200 config on a Retina MBP).

4. frozi, Jun 26, 2012

frozi macrumors member

DO you have an idea how long it will take Avid to have the retina macbookpro certified??

----------

as for my thoughts on avid VS final cut:

Both will be around, depending on which editors knows what will determine who uses what to cut.

Someone that has been using final cut all their life, it would be hard to switch to Avid. But in my expierence, I work at a television studio (mind you its in toronto) they got rid of all the final cuts in our post production, and we all run Avid and affter effects here.

Didnt post that part about us using avid over final cut as a debate over which is better., they are both great. Just telling you what we use at work

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wouldn't recommend anyone starting from scratch to learn FCP7 but for shops that were built around it it is certainly still in use and probably will be for the next 6-12mo. Many people are still kicking the tires on Avid MC 6, CS6 and FCPX to see which would be the best replacement. Once a pretty stable knowledge base is formed from ex-FCP7 users about which NLE is best at what I think then we'll see a large swath of users switch in a pretty small time windows. Everyone is waiting to move but not everyone wants to do all the dirty work required to find the pros and cons of other NLEs.

Only Avid knows and they don't get prerelease builds of anything from Apple anymore. It could be a couple of weeks or it could be a couple of months.

6. frozi, Jun 26, 2012

frozi macrumors member

booo-urns. I have been waiting since jan for this new macbook pro to come out. 16bg of ram, AMAZING! But I am afraid that I will get the 2.6 processor, and the 2.7 will only be certified.

I guess while I wait, I will continue to research my best way to set up anexternal, that wont break the bank. I know I should go g-raid thunderbolt. But I dont feel secure sepdning over $700 for raid-o.

COME ON AVID, GET THOSE MACBOOK PRO REITNAS CERTIFIED!

7. glaseryaniv thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I have to say that FCP7 is really not dead. Its still a very usefull piece of software. FCPX is horrible right now, and 7 is a good alternative. I am originally an AVID editor, so i will be doing work on mc6 for sure as well. But i really dont expect Avid to release a Retina res update. Thats just not like them. I will run the tria and see how bad things are.

8. heyimandy macrumors member

I'm a music video Director and I can say that FCP7 is very much still alive. The company which represents me has worked with some of the top artists today which many of them still cut on FCP7 for web and broadcast.

I've recently done my first music video in Premiere CS6 and must say this is a beautiful program with a lot of potential.

When it comes to editing between FCP, Premiere or AVID it's really user preference. One is not going to make your product any better then the other. It comes down to workflow and what works with you. Here in Canada we find a lot of creative (commercials, music videos, etc) are done in FCP and a bit of Premiere but for television they seem to stick to AVID.

I'm actually waiting for my Macbook Pro Retina to arrive still but would love to share my experience with it once I get it up and running.

All the best.

9. mBox macrumors 68020

Or never...well maybe years ago. But with recent Avid tactics they are trying their best to accommodate Apple folks.
    We've moved all our FCP projects over to FCPX. Since we're an Avid shop, it wasnt much but enough to keep some intern busy ;)