FCP 7 , Snow Leopard and Macbook Pro ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 617media, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 617media macrumors member

I have a 2009 unibody mbp, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200rpm HD..... I'm running FCP 7 with the project running off of a western digital external.

EVERYTHING is so slow and messed up, it's unusable basically. I'm working with XD CAM HD footage btw...

Also there is only 5gb left on the external drive I am running/editing the project/clips off of, and only 40gb left on my internal drive.

Could this be the reason for it running so ridiculously slow and laggy? Or something else?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as the scratch drive should have at least 10 to 20% of its capacity not used (90 to 180GB free on a 935GB HDD).

What codec do you use for the XDCam HD footage?

3. 617media thread starter macrumors member

Well I just cleared up 239gb out of 500 now, so that should do for the 20%....

Like my transitions are all ****ed up and blotched, there is so much lagging, I am not sure about what codec I am using.

I basically captured off an SxS card onto his MBP at his office, then used XD cam transfer to turn them into raw quicktime clips, then brought them over to my system.

I was shooting with the Sony XDCAM EX PMW-EX3.... I know there are settings for my project and timeline I need to change/tweak but I really have no idea.

Anyone help me out?

Even in my other project, which is just plain HDV, it will play smoothly in the timeline for about 15 seconds then lag up a storm. Extremely frustrating.

It's ironic my dad is a big filmmaker he's just away in france shooting so I can't ask him any of these questions.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use the FCP browser window to find out the clip settings and the sequence settings. You may need to scroll to the right to find the appropriate columns shown below.

[​IMG]