FCP 7 to Adobe Encore on PC?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scouser75, Jan 14, 2011.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Folks, I've just busted a gut completing a project for my client. He now wants to author it himself on his PC using Adobe Encore.

The project is currently in ProRes (LT) 1920X1080, 25fps.

What is the best format to export in? It will be burned to a standard def DVD.

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

Create the MPEG 2 files. That way you can be sure that it meets your standard for quality. Otherwise, an H.264 quicktime at the full 1920x1080 and highest quality. that will easily be read on a pc.

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mate. What's the best way to create the MPEG2 files?

Also, just to clarify, I don't need to render the Sequence prior to Exporting to MPEG2, do I???

I've got 2 hours worth of Sequences to Render and really don't fancy going through that process! :(

4. simsaladimbamba

Rendering is always good.
    You use Compressor and one of its DVD presets to transcode the exported video from FCP to MPEG-2 files (one audio and one video file).

Sending from Final Cut Pro to Compressor
    [​IMG]
    Exporting from FCP to Compressor, or use a QuickTime Movie instead ?

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. simsaladimbamba

from

7. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:eek: Sorry. Guess I should have read all the links first. My heads not straight today from all the stress.

Think I'll go out for the night and get back to the work tomorrow.

Thanks again mate :)

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

NO NO NO NO NO :mad:

do not EVER use the "send to compressor" feature... ever... never...

Render your sequence, the go to File > Export > Export QT Movie

then make sure you check "Make Self-Contained Movie" and uncheck render box. This will give you a single Master QT which you can give the person. All he has to do is install the ProRes decoder for PC and he'll be able to do whatever he needs to do.

If you want to convert it to some other format, take the Master QT into compressor and convert that instead of going directly from FCP. This will save you time in the long run.

9. simsaladimbamba

Why? What does it do to the sequence or video, that it shouldn't be done?
    I myself haven't used that feature, as I use Avid MC and use Reference QT movies to import into Compressor, therefore I didn't come upon any problems.

Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder 1.0 for Windows

10. boch82 macrumors 6502

I always render and export a reference file as well (do not click make the movie self contained) then convert that way....

I work on both FCP and Avid and the reference file has always give me a better conversion in less time that exporting a fill QT then converting that.

But I agree, dont use the send to feature...

11. FroColin macrumors regular

Why??????? That doesn't make any sense to me. I have NEVER heard that. What have I missed? Do you lose quality??

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you don't lose quality, just time...

By exporting via QT Movie you have a "same-as-source" master that you can base all future outputs on.

with "send to compressor" you tie up FCP and make it render everything each time you do an output. this wastes a great deal of time.

13. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for the helpful replies. To play it safe I'm going to go through both processes. This way I also get some practice in :)

One final question though, please... As this project will be burned to SD DVD my client wants the original format Pal 1920X1080 to go down to Pal 720X576. What is the best way to do this?

I played about with the Export as QT Movie by going into the "Custom" mode and adjusted the Frame Size to 720X576. BUT I was a little unsure about this process as it says this function should only be used with PR Proxy.

Also, in the Quicktime Video Settings, should I change this to DV Pal? Or leave it as PR Proxy?

14. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

A quick update guys:

In the end, I Exported a 160 minute Sequence straight to QT (having Rendered it in FCP 7).

I did contemplate using Compressor to make a 720X576 DV Pal movie, but that process would have taken 8 hours :eek: So I left that for my client to complete on his PC.

Alas, it seems there's no quick or easy way to directly Export a 1920X1080 PR 422 LT Sequence from FCP to 720X576 DV Pal. It has to go via Compressor.

Thanks once again folks for all your help and advice :)