FCP allows footage to work in iMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apollo26, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Apollo26 macrumors newbie

Hi there, quick background story!
    A friend and I are very into film production and have started messing around with different cameras and editing software. My friend's Dad has a very nice JVC pro-level camera which films in .MOV format. We'd previously been using a smaller amateur level handicam that supposedly records in avchd (although appears as .mov files when connected to imovie).
    We started using the JVC and the files when uploaded to imovie'11 didn't have the quality we were expecting. It looked fine in HD on the playback on the camera but when put through imovie it lost the definition and crispness of HD.

My friend's Dad gave us a version of Final Cut Pro to use instead as that is what he used. And yes, it did work on FCP, but that's a tricky piece of software for beginners like us and we longed for the ease of imovie. My friend's Dad said that he had heard that with all the codecs that FCP has it can allow imovie to use footage it wouldn't usually be able to use.
    So we tried the footage again in imovie, and this time it worked. The image was crisp and clear and very much looked HD when it hadn't before. The only difference was that we had installed FCP on the Mac a day earlier.

So, I've been looking for someone to confirm this theory about FCP/imovie but haven't found anything. Is this really the case, does FCP 'upgrade' imovie and let you use any file type in imovie?!

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

I don't know the answer necessarily, but a preview in any program will not be as crisp as the exported/shared 'real' video. That's why professional editors use seperate preview monitors to see how the video will actually appear.

Might you have adjusted some preferences in iMovie as you were trying to get it to look better? I know that there has been in most verisions of iMovie a checkbox which allows iMovie to drop frames in the preview for a sharper picture or to show all frames while making the picture appear less crisp. I highly doubt that adding FCP would have affected iMovie...unless maybe there was an upgrade to Quicktime too behind the scenes.