FCP and Old Home Movies - Filter/Effects Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by VanMac, Nov 29, 2008.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hello.

I'm creating a video for my family based on some old Super8 movies I had converted to mini-DV via telecine process.

I'm new to FCP, and could use some tips on filters and effects to apply to converted clips. Some of them were from indoor shots and lighting was poor, etc.

As well, just some good techniques for cleaning things up and making it look professional would be appreciated.

I will be posting more questions for sure :)

Thanks in advance.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

The 3-Way Color Corrector will probably provide most of the correction you want.

-DH

3. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

You'll have to learn how to use the scopes when using the 3 way colour corrector. (I spell colour the Canadian way ;) )

4. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

OK, thanks for the input. I'll take a look into this Colour Corrector (I'm from Canada as well ).

I do have the complete FCS with Color application. Is there something better to use in there?? I'm very new to this video editing stuff....

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

No, if you use "Color" the app, your head will explode at this stage. :)
    Use the 3 way colo(u)r corrector in FCP, and above all be sure and read the FCP manual and do every tutorial on the DVD, and read everything you can find on KenStone's website and Creativecow. FCP is powerful and fun once you get past the rather steep learning curve.

6. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

Video Editors seldom like giving away their little secrests, but i feel i need to let you know this.

for a novice, the color tools are a little complex in FCP, but there is a free plugin by Lyric that will go a long way to sorting out your "gamma" isuues

http://www.lyric.com/fcp-plugins/index.htm#shadow

its easy to use and astonishingly effective

:D