FCP - Audio Transition - Quick Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by VanMac, Dec 14, 2008.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hi.
    I'm working on my first movie in FCP. It is old footage from the 60s that I had telecined to DV.

The imported video has audio tracks, but there is no sound on them as they were super8 with no audio.

I'm importing mp3 files to play alongside the video. They end up going on audio tracks A3 and A4. (old christmas songs, as it is old christmas footage).

I want to put audio transitions between these clips on A3 and A4, but I do not seem to be able to. I'm only able to add transitions between video clips and the empty audio tracks on A1 and A2.

How can I add audio transitions between the mp3 files I'm laying down on the extra audio tracks?

Thanks in advance.

2. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

Unlock the Audio tracks (from the video) and delete them (They are silent right?)

3. -DH macrumors 65816

You need "handles" to add a transition to either audio or video clips.

FWIW, FCP doesn't work natively with MP3 files. Best to convert them to AIFF 48khz, 16 bit PRIOR to importing them into your FCP project.

-DH

4. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

The original audio tracks are silent. I do not see how to unlock and delete them. The lock icon is open, but if I select the video track, it selects the 2 silent audio tracks as well.

Also, in relation to the audio tracks, is there now way to adjust their levels over a period of time (ie: ramp up to 0db over 5 seconds). In iMovie this was pretty simple, and provided a graphical way of adjusting your audio. Is there a similar thing in FCP?

I'm using FCP 6

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not to be "that guy" but all this information and more is available in the documentation that comes w/FCP. Your experience using FCP will be much more productive and enjoyable if you take a bit of time to go over the manual in order to understand the basics of how to use the program.

Lethal

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Unlock is the wrong term. You need to unlink the audio from the video (Command L). The lock icon locks/unlocks the entire track (all clips on that track).

Yes. Look up how to use the pen tool in the FCP help files or user manual.

-DH

7. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I appreciate that Lethal. I am going through the manual, and have gone through the tutorial video that came with it about 5 times. Sometimes I'm just not even sure what to look for in the manual, cause I dont know what to call it :confused:

I also have a bit of a time constraint, as it is a Christmas Present needed by Christmas Eve, and I only have weekends to really work on it.

Regards,
    Vic

8. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thanks DH. Exactly what I was looking for. :D