FCP: Can I zoom lenearly in post?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris7, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

FCP: Can I zoom linearly in post?

Hello. I’m trying to pull an effect whereby I zoom way in on a still and pan to the side slightly so that the subject’s eye takes up the whole screen, over a period of 5-10 seconds (with a video masked and composited in the eye). I’m using two key frames in “Scale” and two in “Center” in the Motion tab to try pull this off. The problem is that the FCP zooms in very quickly at first, then zooms slowly.

(Here's what's happening, best I can tell: Although I'm starting with the Scale smaller than 100, say, for example the still is scaled at 100 on the first keyframe, and scaled to 1000 on the last, over period of ten seconds. During the fist second, the image would go from a scale of 100 to a scale of 200 or double in size, but by time you got from the 9th second to the 10th the image has only gotten about 12% bigger during that second.)

1. Is there any way to make FCP zoom linearly, in a similar way one would zoom in with a consumer camera with consistent speed zoom switch? (I will need to still be able to composite video over the eye).

2. If no, what plug in or other program would you suggest? I’ve hard of “Moving Picture” form Stage Tools, but I don’t know if it handles zooming/scaling any differently from FCP, and do not know if it will allow me to composite video inside the still. Can After Effects do this?

I tried control-clicking on the first keyframe to smooth the overly fast zoom at first, but this makes the Center function act weird.

I also tried making multiple keyframes in both Scale and Center so that the Scale doubled every second, but this just makes the zoom jerky and really complicates panning.

I even tried exporting the modified clip, running it though compressor (ProRes) to change it to it’s own clip, re-importing, and used time remapping with curves in an attempt to smooth out the zoom. That was a joke – I had to slow the clip down so much at the beginning that looked terrible.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

For this kind of effect you really want a compositing program... Final Cut Pro shines in editing footage together but its effects interface is a bit clunky and hard to control. If you have access to After Effects I would definitely use it in leu of FCP. You'll have much more control over what you're doing. Motion would be my choice but I'm assuming you don't have access to that.

3. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have FCS2 and Production Premium CS4, but have not used either Motion nor After Effects. I've watched quite a few tutorials on both these programs and think I'd love them, but I am using a MBP w/128 of VRAM, which I heard doesn't work too well with either program -- I hear Motion wants a real graphics card and AE CS4 wants some real CPU. Is this correct?

Why would Motion be your choice over AE?

Thanks for the reply,
    Chris

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

either program will run fine on your MBP for this situation... you worry too much

5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Wirelessly posted (Erendiox: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Seconded. Your machine is plenty powerful to run the final cut suite.

And motion would be my preference simply because I have very little experience with AE. :)