FCP - Capture and Bin Storage Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by VanMac, Nov 27, 2008.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hello.

I'm about to make my first video using FCP, and have likely the first of many questions.

A while ago I got my parents old super8 movies and got them converted to DV. I likely have 8 full tapes of old video that I plan to make into multiple movies (ie: Christmas, anniversaries, kids, etc).

I was thinking that instead of just capturing "Christmas" footage for the Christmas movie, and then later "Wedding" footage for the Anniversary video, I would capture all movies under an "Old Reel" project, and then use those clips and subclips in whatever movies I wish. Kinda like creating a repository of clips that can be used in multiple movies.

So, just wondering if this is a good idea, and what some good strategies are for acquiring and storing data, and being able to reuse it, etc. I've been going through the documentation and tutorials a bit, but just thought I would as here as well

Thanks in advance,

2. Mister Three macrumors newbie

Mister Three

It's up to you really.

Hi VanMac,

I think on this question it's down to your way of working. Some like to capture only what they need for organisation or disk space reasons, I like to capture everything (EVERYTHING) as I never know what I'll need and have often found a moment that should have been deleted or not captured simply perfect for a certain place. But conversely I also have a lot of footage captured and stored that I'll never use. Now and then (after a project has been finished) I go into the captured files and delete (risky - apart from having the tape back-up) completely unused ones just for space - or just back up the lot and forget about it.
    The best advice is to remain thoroughly organised though, capture and label your files well and put them in a good place together on an external or very fast internal drive.
    And good luck.

T

3. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey T.

Thanks for the input.

I think for now I will just be capturing what I need, as I dont want to get too overwhelmed with content.

I have the tapes labelled pretty good, so I know what is on them. I'm now going through the tape, logging clips that I want, and then doing a batch capture. Works pretty good, and I can go back to a tape and capture more when needed.