FCP Coloring Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Espnetboy3, May 3, 2007.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Ok Im not sure if it is always the case but last night i was color grading a clip in FCP. The effects I used were basic levels adjustments color balance and color correction. When I achieved the look I wanted and play the clip after I render it out in the timeline I notice the color shifts slighty to a bit more greenish lighter tint to it. Then when I pause it the color goes back to the way I wanted it to look when I was adjusting it.

I have everything rendered out Option R I have no red bars just grayish blue and my timeline playback settings are set to Safe RT and playback is set to High. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've had that happen to, can't remember exactly what I did to fix it though. Try trashing all of your render files and/or creating a new sequence and copy/pasting your edits from your current seq into the new one.

Also, are you viewing this on your computer monitor or on a b'cast monitor/TV?

Lethal

3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply lethal. I guess people in here dont like answering my questions lol. Im watching it on my computer monitor but it still changes look by a slight degree. When paused its a little darker and when playing its a tiny bit lighter mostly in the blacks and a tiny bit greener tint. I did add some light greens in the 3 way color corrector but it changes when i play and pause it slighty . Weird

4. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I think its a prefs thing when using custom color profiles. Are you using a custom color profile? Try trashing FCP prefs and rebooting. The one from your users library prefs.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you haven't already tried this, export a clip as a QT movie and see if the QT has the odd color shifting problems. What you see in FCP's Canvas is only a proxy of the image so it's not something you can pass final judgement on. I've had a similar thing happen, but on my b'cast monitor the image didn't shift (which is why I asked if you were watching it just on your computer monitor or not).

Lethal

6. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya im going to render it out today. Should i render it lossless which would be animation? Or does it matter if I render out photojpeg or something?

BTW ive realized that the None option when exporting really isnt lossless as None compression would seem but animation is better.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What you should render it out to depends on what you are going to be doing with it and where the footage came from. I mean, if everything is DV there's no point in exporting it using animation because you will just end up w/a massive file that's still just DV quality.

Lethal