FCP: Correcting noise and overexposure

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

What's the best way to reduce noise and correct overexposure on video? I thought there might be a "noise reduction" filter but I haven't found it. I hope there's a way to correct overexposure in FCP so I don't have to turn to Aperture instead and be stuck with thousands and thousands of jpeg images.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Posting a still frame of your footage will us get an idea of how much can be salvaged. ;)
    If the hot areas of the video are completely over exposed (like it's pure white) then there's not much you can do there 'cause there's no image information to be able to retrieve.

Lethal

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've attached a sample still with obvious noise and overexposure.

Attached Files:

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unfortunately the overexposed areas are completely blown out and have no image detail in them. :(

To combat the noise I used the 3-way Color Corrector to darken the blacks and mid ranges a bit (I also added some yellow/orange to the whites so the blown out people weren't stark white). I also added a Channel Blur filter and but a slight blur on the Green channel only (just a blur of "2"). That helped soften the noise w/o effecting much of the overall image detail since it's mostly red.

I don't know if these changes will look good on moving video, but at least it's a place to start.

Lethal

Attached Files: