FCP Export size options?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 617media, Nov 10, 2010.

1. 617media macrumors member

I am far from being a noob regarding FCP and compression.... but I am wondering what do you more experienced guys use when exporting HD video for the web?

The reason I am asking is normally I am exporting at either 1920 x 1080, or lower, but still high HD resolutions such as 1280x720 (16:9 of course). Now although I have messed around with much smaller size video aspect ratios, I used to know this math formula that seemed to work for converting basically any standard "HD" video size, into whatever smaller little clip size you needed to work with.

The school I am applying to needs a media submission/demo reel uploaded online to their special little page, but of course has a 100mb limit... which with the mb/sec most HD video takes up these days, is a retarded compression challenge.

Before I go through all this exporting mess - where as I could probably settle for 1280x720 but sacrifice a TON of quality, but I would rather have a smaller-visible viewing area of my video, and have higher quality.... I just want to be able to retain the same aspect/High def ratio. (I know it really isn't high definition at those small sizes but u know what im saying)

640x360? Perhaps?

Looking to figure this out again, I had a couple lower sizes that worked real well before but have completely forgot them, as I have been focusing on other things in the past year.

Thanks.

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

i do a lot of compression for the web. We convert the full 1920x1080 pro res quicktime to H.264 at a resolution of 570x321. Usually we can get really good quality at about 20mb/min of video.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Don't attempt to just pluck resolutions out of thin air — divide the video length by the file size limit, and use that to work out what kind of resolution is realistic. You'll need to consider how busy the image is.

If image quality is really important to you, it might be worth using the x264Encoder component or Handbrake to access the x264 codec. It's massively better than Apple's H.264 when you're pushing it.

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

640 x 360 is a good size, being a whole number submultiple of 1920 x 1080 and being divisible by both 4 and 8 (which the MP4 encoders are reputed to like). It's also an OK size to view on a computer screen when your nose is 30" (~75cm) from the screen.

How long is your video?

5. 617media thread starter macrumors member

it's about 6 minutes.

And I didn't pluck that resolution out of thin air. I got it through a formula a while back...but it turns out the school has a requirement upload size of 640x480.... oh well.