FCP exports wrong parts of the video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by helicoptersoup, Feb 5, 2009.

1. helicoptersoup macrumors newbie

I just upgrade from FCP 5 to FCP 6 and I am having some real problems with the software. I cut a movie to get the clip I want and it plays perfectly in the canvas preview. The problem is that in the timeline the thumbnail shows the beginning of a scene earlier than the clip that is cut, and when I export the clip it exports an earlier scene. If in the canvas I click on the image it shows a small preview of what the clip actually is, but when I play it in FCP it is what I want it to be. My question is; how do I get the clip in the timeline to be the same clip in my canvas preview? This post may be confusing (I am confusing myself right now), so if you think you may be able to help, hopefully I can clarify some parts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What kind of footage are you working with?

Lethal

3. helicoptersoup thread starter macrumors newbie

I am capturing video in 720p from a PS3 through FCP and then editing those clips to make stock footage. I am using an intensity card to capture the footage.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Which codec are you capturing to specifically?

Lethal

5. helicoptersoup thread starter macrumors newbie

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

99% sure that's your problem. H.264 is a fine codec for a finished product but it's not a good codec to edit with. Try capturing a few clips as DVCpro HD and see if that gives you problems.

Lethal

7. helicoptersoup thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip. I will try this tomorrow.