FCP - Frames dropped in Canvas

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by semiotic, Nov 22, 2008.

1. semiotic macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a pretty big problem in Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 on my new low-end MBP.
    I'm trying to edit a 1080i m2t file and playback in Canvas is awfully choppy and displays a Frames Dropped Warning after like 1 second. At the moment, I have to use the hard drive as Scratch Disc, but I don't think this would make such an impact? I pretty much tried all of the solutions of the apple doc concerning dropped frames, but nothing changed the problem. As I used to edit on windows in premiere, I figure there's something I must be doing wrong. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance,
    semiotic

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP doesn't like m2t files. Use something like MPEG Streamclip to convert it into a FCP friendly format such as Apple HDV 1080i60.

Lethal

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Still not a good format for editing. Try ProRes. Only problem is, takes a lot of disc space...

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It takes up a lot of disk space, it requires faster disks to not be hamstrung, and the OP doesn't have FCP 6.

Lethal

5. semiotic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot to both of you for the quick answer, issue solved with Lethal Wolfe's suggestions, this is the reason why forums can be great!