FCP HD questions.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by djhspawn, Aug 3, 2007.

1. djhspawn macrumors member

I was asked today if I have the HD Intermediate Codec for my Mac Pro. Would this be somthing that would of been bundled with FCP HD?

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Check Macintosh HD --> Library--> Receipts

it should have AppleIntermediateCodec (AIC) and AppleHDVCodec.

If so, then yes.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you have FCP HD (aka FCP 4.5) you do not have AIC or ProRes (a new codec Apple just released). If you have FCP 5 you have AIC but not ProRes, and if you have FCP 6 you have AIC and ProRes.

Lethal

4. djhspawn thread starter macrumors member

so the HD intermediate codec and the apple intermediate codec are the same?

and I do have FCP HD 5.

Thanks for the help.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just to be on the safe side I would double check w/the person who asked you as to what exactly they want as Apple doesn't have anything called an "HD intermediate codec". They might have meant the AIC or they might have meant ProRes HD or they might have been completely mistaken. ;)

Lethal

6. djhspawn thread starter macrumors member

I made the call. Here is what I really need to know, the footage I capture is HDV, I edit it in its 1440 x 1080. With FCP, and I able to export it in 1920 x 1080? And if so, any links on how?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Exporting the footage is very simple, but picking which codec to use depends on what you are going to be doing w/the exported files. Some codecs are better for retaining maximum quality but at very large file sizes while others don't look quite as good (or are more difficult to work with if further editing needs to be done) but have much more manageable file sizes.

Lethal