FCP HDV on OLD Powermac G5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LeKiD, Sep 9, 2007.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Hi guys, as the title says, I'm editing HDV on fcp 6 but few things are starting to irritate me big time. I'm on a Powermac G5 1.8 and can't wait for the update! So, every time I'm speeding up my clip and I try to play it on the timeline, I get this annoying message telling me to take out RT Unlimited, etc. It's already on safe and I've lowered my quality to low and it keeps on giving me the same massage again and again. What can I do besides that? Is there a way to get a proper HDV editing session on a Powermac G5? I'm lossing patience for that mac pro update... but if someone knows... I would be a little more patient! Also, rendering is killing me when I apply effects... Is it really over for my 1.8?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Did you change your frame rate?

I can count on one hand the number of times I have edited HDV video, but I have a Dual 1.8GHZ G5 and had no real problems after lowering the frame rate. I even left the playback quality on Medium.. I would imagine Memory size contributes to this though.. I have 3GB of RAM.

Also leave RT on unlimited because if you put it on safe it will force clips to be marked red when you probably could stumble through them just fine. It's very conservative.

3. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

HDV worked perfect on my dual 2.3G5, but now flies on my 2.66 mac pro.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Is it s single or dual 1.8?

5. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Go to your user settings and uncheck "Report dropped frames during playback".
    It's also best on lower systems, I have a G4, to capture HDV with the AIC.

6. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

It's a single 1.8! Thanks for the advices... I'll give it a shot!

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you render the section you are apply a speed effect to you won't get that message any more. HDV is a very CPU intensive codec so expect poor RT performance compared to DV or DVCPro HD.

Lethal

8. banjomamo macrumors regular

Are you using a RAID or a scratch drive? You can only do so many HDV streams off a stock 7200 drive.