FCP HELP! working with animation in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by trafficluv, Aug 1, 2007.

1. trafficluv macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm trying to edit a video for someone - they send me 1gb file (it's 4min) that I asked to be 10-bit uncompressed .mov - When I work with it in FCP I notice that the images are jagged, pixelated and just overall not good. I checked the format and it says the file format is animation, 980 X 632, 15fps and 3.5mb/s. I have my audio/video setup to 10-bit uncompressed and it looks terrible. I've tried nearly all other easy setups and am starting to worry I just need new source material - any suggestions? please let me know, it must be done before end of day thursday.

thanks

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

That's a really non-standard video. Does it look okay when you play the original file in Quicktime?

If so, try throwing it into Compressor to sample it down to NTSC size. Might want to go anamorphic, since the original dimensions are pretty widescreen. Use Quicktime's Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 'compressor.' See if that looks any better in FCP using the Uncompressed 10-bit NTSC easy setup.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

None of the easy setups are going to help because, as ppc mentioned, you have a non-standard video on your hands (both in dimension and frame rate). If you can ask the person to make you another video but in a standard video dimension and frame rate. You can use the info in FCP's Easy Setups (Audio/Video settings->Sequence Presets tab) to give the person a guideline, but the tricky part is that the video and the sequence in FCP must match 100% other wise you have to render every clip you put in the timeline.

Also, I assume you have fast enough enough harddrives to work w/uncompressed media.

Lethal