FCP, how do I do this?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NOV, Dec 30, 2007.

1. NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

I recorded a live performance of a pianist. To make the final video more interesting and have some additional angle shots, I split the music from the first recording and the pianist (semi) played along with the music for some alternative shots.

My idea was then in the FCP timeline to cut some original video bits and place the alternative angle shots here and there. One of the angle shots is for example a shot of the fingers playing the piano.
    Therefor I wanted to match the alternative angle shot manually to the original music. But when I place the alternative shot in the timeline the video becomes unrendered so it's impossible to do a believable match between audio/ alternative video shot.

I'm pretty sure there must be a way to work around this...

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Post your system specs and software versions. Also tell us what your footage is (format) and what your FCP Sequence settings are.

Adding additional clips to the Timeline shouldn't cause the need to render unless the clip's specs don't match your Sequence settings ... or your system is woefully under-resourced for the task.

-DH

3. NOV thread starter macrumors 6502

NOV

FCP 6.0.2
    PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 4G memory
    I use the 1440 * 1080 HD setting or the sequence

Maybe I should explain it better: I do a superimpose of the alternative shot above the original live performance, so it's not only adding clips to the timeline.
    It's a bit frustrating because only with trial and error I can line up the alternative shots to the original audio. If I change it a bit I have to render the tracks again.

4. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Did this issue get resolved?

I'm guessing that it is/was an issue with either the footage being in a non-native format or that it didn't match the sequence settings.

Were you only getting the render error when the clip was superimposed over other footage or anywhere you placed it on the timeline or in a new sequence? Do you often change your sequence settings? What format is the video?

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

NOV,

I only understand vaguely what you are saying - is the problem that because of the need to render, it is impossible for you to judge visually if the clip is at the right position on the timeline (so it matches the music)?

If so, I would recommend to line up the clips with all available angles on separate tracks of the timeline BEFORE adding any effects such as superimposing/blending etc., to make sure that they are aligned properly. Then, once everything is timed correctly, cut away the pieces you don't need, and work on the effects last.

Sorry if this doesn't address your problem...

- Martin

6. nep61 macrumors 6502

I'm sure this will slow your system down a bit, but go into your sequence settings ... in your timeline options, check off the box which says "show audio waveforms"... add 2 more tracks to your sequence and lay in the ALT ANGLE on ch's 3 & 4... Now you can visually line up the the audio and the video should follow... you can then render the video in one shot... make sense??