FCP incremental saving

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by charlien, Apr 27, 2014.

1. charlien macrumors regular

I can't seem to figure this out so hopefully someone can help me. I'm a FCP X amateur and make a lot of mistakes as I try different things. I want to make a "base" timeline and then go in and make several edit changes and eventually discard all the changes and start fresh with my "base" timeline again. FCP keeps saving my work and overwriting my base project. Is there a simply way to do what I want to do?

2. onekerato, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

onekerato macrumors regular

Duplicate the project, and experiment on a copy. Projects are lightweight, they only contain the edits (media clips are saved in Event Library). So you should create as many project copies as needed.

3. charlien thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. I have two duplicate options. One says "Duplicate" and one says "Duplicate as a snapshot". Is one the "right" one?

4. onekerato macrumors regular

Duplicate as snapshot, i.e. snapshot = backup.
    see also http://support.apple.com/kb/PH15846?viewlocale=en_US

5. charlien thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response. I was really frustrated and seemed to keep messing my project up.

I went to your website and found your PDF tools interesting. Will a PDF with a TOC work on a windows machine? I would create it on my Mac and share it with windows users.

6. onekerato macrumors regular

Thanks - yes, a TOC embedded in PDF will also work on Windows (and iPad, Android, iPhone etc.)