fcp into avi - why won't it work?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

So i use FCP to capture clients' tapes and occasionally, they ask for avi files (windows users).

into FCP i go and i output to avi.

but then the files won't work for the clients. I don't understand why not? I know avi is a container, but I use the default settings.

I know i could use mpegstreamclip to convert a .dv or the .qt file, but that seems like a waste to output once and then convert? If i have to do, then I will, but maybe there is a 'perfect' setting to use from fcp to export?

Cheers,
    keebler

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You kinda answered your own question. You are exporting AVIs in a codec that your client(s) don't have which means they can't playback the files. They might not have a recent enough version of QT installed or you maybe be using a codec that only comes w/FCP. Sorenson Squeeze and Episode have more options for exporting formats, but they also cost a bit of money.

Lethal

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You need to ask your clients what codec they want so that you can give it to them... "default settings" isn't very descriptive.

When I look at the default settings in FCP for a QT conversion to AVI, it goes to the cinepak codec (which is not an editing format). You have to tell it to encode DV (if that's what you're going for).

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks folks. I'll heed the suggestions and will talk to the clients.

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok. So I'm hating the conversion of .movs to avi's :)

On my pc, I tried 'Rad Tools' which was recommended to me - I set the compression to microsoft video 1 and that didn't work. Tried it on other pcs which have QT installed, thinking that any necessary codecs would also be installed - doesn't work.

I installed the mpeg streamclip plugin for QT Pro and exported as an avi using the DVCPRO setting. Any time I try it on a windows machine (all having QT installed), it says there are 'missing modules' (which I assume are codecs).

Of course, I can play the converted file on my mac without issue, but it won't work anywhere else. The size of the file is equal so I know it worked.

This is driving me nuts. Even if I can get it working on a pc with Quicktime, I'm not sure my client has QT and it doesn't make sense for him to install it.

He's using Pinnacle Studio (version 10, 11 or 12). He's not sure if Pinnacle will import .mov's and from my research, only 12 can and even then, it's hit and miss.

Any other information I can provide to help me solve this? I'm stumped here and it's not making me happy - I can usually figure things out (especially with the help of these forums).

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You many have to batch export everything to something like a TIFF sequence (which is platform agnostic) and then recompress later. A TIFF sequence will be significantly larger than DV though.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well if they have 12 you can MPJPEG w/uncompressed audio and it should work according to this Pinnacle support document.

MPEGStream clip is very handy, but you have to be very careful about what settings you use. Have you tried just using the Export to DV option to make a .DV file? You could also try going Export to Other Formats, then select AVI, then go to Options and select DV/DVCPro NTSC.

Lethal

8. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks Lethal. I'll try those suggestions as well. I have output to dv just in case. It's also a matter of trying to educate the client who thinks that avi is just avi despite me explaining that it's a container with different codecs. He just thinks it should work.

Plus, I seem to be doing everything right and it's not working for me so that adds another element.

I hope I don't seem like a dolt, but I can't recall coming across something 'new' (haven't had to convert into avi before) which is busting my kahoenies :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi LW,

I managed to create an avi with the 'output to other formats', but there's no sound. in mpegstreamclip, the pull down for sound is 'Yes', but stereo, khz and bitrate are all greyed out. I've tried with uncompressed 48 khz, 16 bit stereo as well with no luck. I've also tried a compressed audio file with alaw which didn't work. I haven't tried the ulaw yet b/c i hold no hope :) Although, I will try it now.

There is audio with the original source file so not sure what is going on?

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Might be a bug. I just tried it and didn't get any audio as well. Sharing files cross platform and cross applications is just a royal PITA. Especially w/people who aren't very video/tech savvy and think it's all simple plug and play.

Lethal

11. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

i hear ya on the pita :) I'm going to email the developers to see if they've got that bug logged b/c that's what it looks like. doh!

12. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi Folks,

Just to follow up, the dv files ended up working for the client.

I ended up sending a msg to the developer of mpeg streamclip about the 'no audio' bug. His readme did acknowledge some possible bugs, but hopefully, he'll have time to fix it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Cheers,
    Keebler

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Glad you finally found something that works.

Lethal