FCP - make clip independent shortcut?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Poeben, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Poeben macrumors 6502

Is there a shortcut to make a clip independent? More so, is there some key combo that when you option-drag a clip, the resulting clip is an independent copy?

What I am trying to do is this. I made a custom slate in photoshop (I will eventually be making motion slates as well, but thats another story.) I want to use this template in FCP and be able to easily put it in the timeline (i.e. one video track) and change the text within FCP. Unless the clip is made independent any change to the text affects all the other clips. Any other ideas? Looking to make it as simple as possible for the end user.

Thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If I'm understanding what you are saying, all you need to do is drop the clip in the timeline, double click on it in the timeline and it will open up in the viewer. Make your changes and it will only effect the instance of that clip in that timeline. The master clip in the browser will not be effected.

Lethal

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I have a related question (the one I thought would be asked here :D):

Is there a way to split one video clip into two independent clips in the browser? Say I've captured one huge hour-long video clip and want to break it into smaller clips (by scene or something) to make editing easier.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can subclip it and the subclips will be reference files pointing back to the single, large file on your HDD. If you want the subclips to be completely independent files separate from the one, big master clip that spawned them you can use the media manager to do that.

Lethal