FCP on a PC?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RobLaw, Jun 1, 2010.

1. RobLaw macrumors newbie

Hello. (Sorry if this has been asked to death)

I wanted to know if there is a simple, error-free way to edit with Final Cut Pro on a PC. Can you either get the program on a PC w/ windows operating system, or can you get a PC w/ an apple operating system and load it that way? From what I've read so far you have to performs some hacks to do this and I would like to hear from an expert about my options here and what are the potential problems I might run into.

I am asking because I was considering buying an IMac to do some editing, but due to this high prices and potential problems with the hardware of the IMacs I would prefer to work on a PC.

Thanks for your help!:cool:

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Final Cut Pro isn't available for Windows, and never will be.

The closest alternative might be Avid Cinema or Adobe Premiere, both of which are rather expensive.

(And for the record, iMacs aren't that expensive when you look at what you're getting — super fast processor, super large hard drive, etc.)

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Adding to the above, I'd recommend Sony Vegas Pro (free trial).
    Looks a lot like Premiere in my opinion, has a great user-base support too!!

4. WayneH1 macrumors member

Try searching for "hackintosh". That's what they call a PC hacked to run Mac OS X. Not all PCs will succeed, although I think the process is not too bad on suitable machines. How well iMovie or FCP would run on such a beast is something you'll need to research. I'd want to know for certain that iMovie or FCP will recognize my specific camera and import smoothly from it.

IMHO, you need to reconsider your premise that pursuing this would somehow be better for you than simply getting the iMac. I doubt anyone - even the most ardent hackintosher - would make that recommendation. If you enjoy tinkering with the PC and the thrill of making it work, well maybe that's a fun hobby. But if your goal is really to produce edited movies, you'll be hours, days and maybe weeks ahead by just enjoying a new iMac. It's some of the best hardware you can get, in harmony with some of the best software. And everything you need (including legal license) will come with the iMac. Of course FCP is an add-on expense.

5. Vel macrumors member

I use an old iMac (24" 2.8Ghz Extreme w4GB RAM) and it runs FCP without any issues...

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What "potential problems"? When you run a PC you have the real problem of getting all your data wiped clean by viruses.

Most video people use a Mac.

You can get a refurb iMac for video editing.

7. ChrisFig macrumors newbie

Is the purpose of editing FCP on PC a financial one? Otherwise, Apple's MacPro Towers are great for editing.

8. WillaMatthews macrumors newbie

yea thats true that FCP wont be available for MAC atleast for in near future.
    BTW: AvidMux is a great alternative to FCP.
    Just my 2 cent.

9. mBox macrumors 68020

AvidMux? Is that new? We use Avid Media Composer on MacPro (Nitris DX) and MacBook Pro (software only). Great tools :) Ive tested the software version on Windows and it runs the same. But they all have their quirks on both platforms :)