Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maddler

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I have another gripe about FCP 6 (6.0.3) and it's ability to utilize the full power of my system. I'm rendering some clips in my timeline that have multiple FX (mostly 3rd party filters), the footage is native DVCPRO HD as is the sequence. But when I render, FCP is only utilizing 110% CPU. I've seen FCP use more - up to almost 400% but never higher, but I don't remember what it was doing then - maybe rendering while also converting non-native clips in the timeline, or maybe exporting. But, this is astoundingly frustrating to be sitting on an Octo Penryn and having my bread and butter app only utilizing 1/8 of my CPU power, and running out of memory when it's used it's 4GB RAM limit on a system with 20 GB of RAM. I just had the system rebuild it's optimization on startup yesterday. Is there any way to force Final Cut to utilize more of the other 7 cores (like you can do with the Q Admin for Compressor)?

heppy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
I think I read somewhere that the only way to do this is to use QMaster - can't remember where I saw that....hope it helps, sorry if it doesn't!

Simon

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
FCP can't use 8 cores... no matter what you do.

You can set up Compressor to use 8 cores for exporting (but not from FCP) by using a virtual cluster. You have to export a QT Mov from FCP and bring that into Compressor.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
FCP can't use 8 cores... no matter what you do.

You can set up Compressor to use 8 cores for exporting (but not from FCP) by using a virtual cluster. You have to export a QT Mov from FCP and bring that into Compressor.

Exporting a QT movie to compressor takes the form of "Export using: Compressor", right?

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
No.

I'm talking about going to File>Export>Quicktime Movie. Then export your timeline using "current settings". It does not need to be self-contained. Then bring that file into Compressor.

This allows Compressor to work completely independent of FCP. An added bonus is that you can work in FCP while Compressor does its thing, your only downtime is the time to export the QT Movie (which isn't very long).

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
No.

I'm talking about going to File>Export>Quicktime Movie. Then export your timeline using "current settings". It does not need to be self-contained. Then bring that file into Compressor.

This allows Compressor to work completely independent of FCP. An added bonus is that you can work in FCP while Compressor does its thing, your only downtime is the time to export the QT Movie (which isn't very long).

The downtime of FCP while exporting a QT movie can be pretty big if it's in HD..

I'm a bit confused though. I thought that compressor was able to use 8 cores whether or not it was using a saved file from an external source, OR a file 'sent' to it from FCP.

When I've exported movies that way in the past, I've seen all four of my cores working at around 80%..

(My workflow went like this: Set in and out points, select export, select "export using compressor", drag my settings and destinations into the job window in compressor, open the Batch Monitor and select the "this computer" cluster which I had PREVIOUSLY DEFINED as 4 instances in the Qmaster pref. pane, and then hit the 'submit' button)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
the downtime is not big if you are using current settings and not making it self contained. it will only render the effects that you've applied to your footage, if you haven't done any it will just reference your master clips. if you've already rendered your timeline in FCP, the export will just take a few seconds.

Ok, you're on a 4 core machine which means that situation is a bit different. For one, you don't need to create 4 instances in a virtual cluster. This will actually slow you down if you are using it that way on a Quad core MP.

With no virtual cluster, exporting via Compressor from FCP, FCP will use 120-180% proc usage and Compressor will use 80-150%. So yeah, this is spread over 4 cores.

We are talking about 8 core machines. And no, Compressor will not use 8 cores natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.