fcp or iMovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dylanpipe, Jul 11, 2012.

1. dylanpipe macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    I have been doing a lot of filming of late, but since I do not have a mac I have not been able to edit. But, I should be getting a Imac 21.5 within a few weeks.

But, I know iMovie comes with a mac, and FCP is rather pricy. I know this is most likely frowned apon, but how safe would it be to download FCP off a site like, piratebay, etc. Since, there are many,many more video effects and just better workflow with fcp.
    Im filming with a canon t2i, so would I be able to straight up upload the video clips or would I need to convert them, and would this reduce the quality?

Last question, I'm making a summer video,movie thing and for an effect I want text but with video clips inside the text would this be possible with iMovie?
    https://vimeo.com/userfundaprod check out some of our videos!

thanks,
    dylan p.

I just realized that this area would be better than my previous post--sorry about the double post.

2. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

iMovie is good for the basics, but why not trial FCPX? Ive been using Final Cut Express 4 for two years now and just tried FCPX this last semester for my editing class; which gets the job done nicely.

3. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

4. ZMAN Z28 macrumors newbie

I'm not saying 399 isn't a lot of money, but it is a great value for FCP X.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

Im sure any pirated version works but you might have issues with running the older legacy version of FCS/FCP on a new iMac.
    I suggest you stick with the free iMovie till you are ready to drop down $300 for FCPX (demo it first).

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Try iMovie, and see if it works for your intended purpose.

FCP X is already updated with many of the features some demanded.

It's 299.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

If you have friends that want to try it, then split the cost by using one iTunes account ;)
    You have use up to 5 workstations with FCPX.

8. WRP macrumors 6502a

What?

9. mBox macrumors 68020

dylanpipe was asking about running the older legacy version on a new Mac.
    Ive ran into a few issues with FCP and Lion.
    Dont need to use it so no sense of trying to figure out why it wont run right.

10. WRP macrumors 6502a

I have 2 Mac Pros and 1 MBP, all on Lion running FCS3 just fine. I have different capture cards, raid cards, etc. Never have had a single issue with FCP7 (well in regards to the OS). YMMV

11. mBox macrumors 68020

I know it works since others are doing it. I ran into a few weird things last summer and thats the last Ive had to open FCP.
    Just giving others the heads-up that some folks have had problems.
    Im assuming that most that are asking are new to this game.