fcp people .. dual or single monitors ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jetjaguar, Dec 3, 2009.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

just curious what editors are using out there or prefer to use ..
    one big monitor or 2 smaller or even two big monitors and why ?

2. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

for work i use 2 x 24" But i always see the need for more screen real estate. would be more happy with 2 x 30"

For me it is all about screen real estate.

for private use i have a 30" high res dell monitor.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm not a "pro" editor but I do edit with FCP a lot.

An ideal configuration for me would be two displays. With the first monitor housing the browser, timeline and view.

The other display would only show the canvas. I would want the canvas to occupy an entire screen because it would help with spotting errors in continuity or a need for color correction (my eyes suck!). Also, when I do projects for other people, it's easier for them to watch with a screen dedicated to the canvas.

4. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

IMO two monitors is a lot better than one big one. I run two 23" ACD and a 24" Dell & I still find myself wanting more space.

I don't think Ill be happy until I have a ring of monitors completely surrounding me. :D

5. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

No point in running a "desktop" monitor as the Canvas - you won't see accurate interlacing, speed change (or reverse) effects or colour. A big second desktop monitor might be pixel-mapped - even full HD at 1920x1080 - but that is only a fraction of the requirement for proper monitoring.

You will come completely unstuck, when the first time you see errors in your edit will be on your finished DVD or Blu-ray on a TV.

You MUST have a proper "video" output display to have any confidence that what you see during editing will look like the finished result. This means NOT just using a second computer desktop display.

Cheapest option to generate such a display at present is something like the Matrox MXO2 Mini.

(Of course, if you're just editing for computer output - or the web - anything will do.)

6. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i remember in one of the videos i was watching .. the editor had 2 x30s and one of the 30s was just for the file browser while the other had the canvas, viewer and timeline

i always used a single 30 for my pc .. but since i sold everything i was thinking about either 2x24s or a single 30 and possibly picking a second one down the road

7. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

get a good IPS display :) or if you really want the best get a AFFS+ display. extremely expensive but the best.

8. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

With respect to the editor you saw then, (s)he couldn't have been much of an editor. Macho-quantities of desktop real estate may look impressive to onlookers, but if it's just desktop space: it's guaranteed to miss the essential requirements of monitoring the video actually being produced.

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

this is similar to the setup I've got... although the browser monitor is a 17. I also have a 20" broadcast monitor for accurate preview.

once you've worked with dual monitors for a while, it's tough to go back... even to one large monitor.

10. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

it was a video on apple's final cut studio site showing final cut being used in the industry

11. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Fine. That explains why it probably didn't show any non-Apple gear. Don't say I didn't warn you when you find horrific interlace twitter, image tearing or quivering freeze-frames on your final output, because you can't see what you're doing on a desktop monitor. :)

12. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

I have one 17 inch for the file browser and scopes, a 24 inch for the viewer and timeline, and a 42 inch 1080p reference monitor.

13. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im just a film student .. i was just curious

14. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

so beside working on 2 desktop monitors .. u would also want a tv or something so u can see what it would really look like as a finished project .. and this is only if you are outputting to tv or film .. if its just for internet or school projects then it doesnt really matter ?

15. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

No, I appreciate that: and it's good to be curious. I am always amazed that so so many "professional" editors don't think it's essential to use a proper video (not desktop) monitor (and drive it properly) if it's going to be of any use at all.

If I've just made you say "there's this bloke who keeps banging on about video monitoring - is he mad, or does he have a point?" - that's a good thing! Good luck with your studies! :)

16. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Not just for TV/film, but for bog-standard DVDs and Blu-rays too. A break-out-box (or graphics cards) that correctly feeds out:

1) interlaced raster
    2) pixel-accurate mapping
    3) correct colour space
    4) at the full or correct frame/field rate

This is NOT any normal computer graphics card.

17. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

i have 2x23 & a pal CRT on the output of the kona card. personally i like to have the timeline canvas at 100% on the right hand monitor.

18. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I have 2 x 24" monitors. One is a Dell that's rotated 90 degrees. Some editors seem to use that setup to extend their browser window (the one with bins and clips) even longer, among other reasons I'm sure.

I would prefer dual 24's over a single 30" when it comes to video editing...but I would really really like a 30" monitor for everything else :D

19. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im thinking i might just go with dual 24s when i buy my mac pro

20. BipolarNick macrumors newbie

I edit on FCP a lot, one big monitor is good. But two is nice, I still get the job done with one. I use my Macbook VGA'ed to my 22' TV and its nice. You DONT NEED two monitors, 1 is fine.. Its more a about preference.

21. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

when working on FCP, my employer insists on us using one 30" display, and 1 grade-2 broadcast monitor :mad:

but at least we have 2 PPM A&B/M&S audio meters :p

22. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

We use twin 23"ACD's and a Matrox MXO2 Max feeding (currently) a 46" XBR and Epson/Panasonic/Sony front projectors for final (We switch out for different projects; 4:3 and 16:9)...we also have access to a Runco 1080p rig with matte for different aspect ratios.

I couldn't agree more...don't limit yourself to computer monitors for your canvas and monitoring final if you're doing serious video editing for broadcast or screen. Web only, you're fine.

You'll be horrified after all that work when viewing your new project on Blu in the family room for the first time;)

I think Matrox has a 4-500 solution...there are also PCI cards...even a cheap LCD/Plasma is better than nothing (The more "regular" your TV solution, the better, IMO...you want to produce for the masses)...

That said...I would love to get a couple of 30" ACDs!!!!