fcp: preview disabled?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by justblaze, Apr 20, 2007.

1. justblaze macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, been reading for a while so I decided to join since I've got a problem that I need help with ;) I've only recently started using FCP and have come across an error when trying to log and capture.

In the Log and Capture window, the area where the video is supposed to be displayed, all I have is colour bars and it says preview disabled. The camcorder (JVC) is connected properly as it says "VTR OK" at the bottom of the window. I am also able to control the camcorder using the video controls on the Log and Capture window but there is no video displayed, as both the sound and the video are being played by the camcorder.

I am using the DV-PAL easy setup as I'm in the UK and can't see where the problem may lie. I've looked through the manual but couldn't find anything useful to help me. Does anybody here have an idea how I may be able to resolve this issue :confused:

Asher

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. justblaze thread starter macrumors newbie

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

nope...
    check to see if your caps lock is on...

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Trying leaving the camera on and plugged into your Mac and then reboot your computer. Usually when I get the same situation (camera control but no picture) this fixes it.

Lethal

6. glenhweiss macrumors newbie

preview disabled

I have found that there are several reasons for getting the "Preview Disabled" screen when you try and capture video using FCP. I am using a Canon XH-A1 with firewire to a Mac G5 and the problem is easily fixed by going into your View drop-down menu in FCP and clicking on 'Refresh AV devices'. This brings up the video that's loaded in the camera. there are other issues with HD camera settings as well but this should at least get your video ready to capture.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry to derail this thread, but why did you resurrect an almost three year old thread for your first post on your first day being registered here, glenhweiss?

It's not that the answer makes no sense, but I'm always curious how those old threads are found and having added another answer (and not a question, which would seem more plausible)?

Did you go looking for it?

As always there obviously will be no answer from you, as I've asked this a lot on such resurrected threads, and the posters the question was meant for never answered, maybe even disappeared.