FCP print to tape then import into iMovie problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cagle, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

The problem: exporting final cut sequence uncompressed for eventual upload to youtube. I've tried many export options under the export to quicktime menu, but they all seem to be below optimum quality, with bad interlacing.

The solution i came up with was to print the sequence to tape, via the firewire connected dv camcorder, then take that footage into imovie and use their easy to use youtube output function. So I import the tape into imovie 9 and notice that its separated the footage into clips, i'm guessing because the final cut project was a collection of clips along the timeline. This wouldn't be a problem if imovie hadn't lost snippets of the clips here are there, leaving the video with gaps. The tape I printed from final cut plays fine on the camcorder, i don't know why imovie is recognizing the individual clips and separating them, i just want one block of footage.:mad:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried the Compressor YouTube preset?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

What was the original source of the video? If it was interlaced material (like a DV NTSC camera), it needs to be deinterlaced during output to eliminate the jaggies when viewed on a progressive display device like a computer monitor.

4. Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

it was footage from a pal DV camcorder, so I will have to deinterlace. thanks