FCP: Project File too new for Application version

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stang68, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

I have been editing a project on my MBP and for class I was using the iMac's that the school has. Now, I am trying to edit on my MBP again and the project wont open because the application is not new enough. I know what this means and it was a dumb mistake, but how can I fix this?

Please tell me there is a way.

Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

From FCP on the iMac export your project as an XML then open up the XML on the MBP. What versions of FCP are you going between.

Lethal

3. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I'll try that, thanks. I am using 6.0 on both of them. I dont understand what the problem is.

4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

You can export the EDL from the class iMacs and import it into your MBP Final Cut and just point out where all the footage is.

If you have the base version of Final Cut (5.0.0) you will need to export it as XML 2.0 or lower. If you have the latest 5.1.4 update then you should have no problems up to XML version 5.0 i believe but it might be worth exporting a couple of XML versions just incase!

Good luck!

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just a point of clarification. You want to export an XML, *not* and EDL. Two very different things.

Lethal

6. Fomaphone macrumors regular

have you tried checking for updates on your mbp?

7. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I cannot see anywhere to update. I click on the FCP menu and there is nothing there to click to update. Do you have to register the product?

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Apple Menu > Software Update

Yes, you should have the product registered, but I don't think it is required for updates.

9. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Oops! My bad... slip of the tongue big stylee!

10. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey guys, I exported as an XML and it seems to be working! Thanks so much. I guess you learn something every day.

11. filmfun macrumors newbie

Same problem but can't solve it!

I have a similar problem, but can't figure out how to get my project back. I have been editing a feature length project on my MacPro tower, almost finished three months of work and my file won't open now! I get the warning,File too new for application. I have been using FCP 6.0. The only thing I did different, is I hadn't loaded Motion, Cinema Tools and Soundtrack Pro, which I did today off the discs -- without touching the FCP 6.0 application. But now when I go to open my file that I used on the same computer only hours before, it tells me it's not compatible with the application anymore. What do I do now? I tried updating, but any updated files my computer needed, didn't make any difference. Did I just lose a three month project? Please help!

12. filman408 macrumors regular

Software Update. (As said earlier.)

Its free.

The current version is 6.0.5, if you have 6 - free update.

Attached Files: