fcp project on more computers without network?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by arjen92, Sep 11, 2008.

1. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Hey,

I wonder if it is possible to make a movie (on final cut pro) on 2 different mac's. I'm going to make short movies for my school and going to try to make the school buy a mac pro for video editing. But I want to work on my movies at home (at home i've got a 24" iMac, 3.0 ghz), as well. My idea was to place everything of the project (save, files, music, videos) on an external hard drive (firewire). But install the software itself on the mac's themself. So, will it be possible when I work on the project at school, place all my files etc. on the harddrive. Go to my home with the harddrive open the project and continue working. Because if I name the harddrive the same, I would suggest that the mac will find the files (when I open my save). Because it's on an external harddrive and therefore will find it's way.

I hope it is clear what I mean. (I am a foreigner so my english is a little bit poor).

2. Roobsa macrumors regular

What you described is definitely possible, but make sure the versions of FCP at school and at home are the same as there are compatibility issues between different versions.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Doing so would violate the Software License Agreement; legally, it only allows you to install FCS on one desktop and one laptop owned by the purchaser as long as any of the apps are in use on one of the two computers at a time.

And these days, with school budgets being what they are, do you think you can get them to buy a MacPro just because you want one for video editing? And even if they do, would they knowing allow pirated software to be installed on their computer? They can get in a ton of legal hassles for that.

Why not take your iMac back and forth from home to school with you? Or better yet, YOU purchase a laptop to take to school.

-DH

4. arjen92 thread starter macrumors 65816

arjen92

2 licenses

I've bought on for myself at home, and the school will get their own one. I'll be leaving the school within 2 years, and my continuators will need to work on it ass well. So I'll get 2 licenses. (which is what I meant with install it on 2 mac's)

I'm going to try to make them buy an iMac G5 intel, which is strong enough for a good price, next to that will our site be designed on it. So it's a good investment.

Of that I wouldn't worry. They don't have mac's on school, and are therefore to stupid to know how it works.

I'm living in the netherlands and I am 16 years old. Here in the netherlands you need to be eighteen to drive a car. And a 24" screen on my bike doesn't seem very smart to me :rolleyes:. Next to that I am 16, so buying my own mac won't be cheap. The mac I use now is "sponsored" by my dad.