FCP publishing to dotMac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tcgjeukens, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

How do you publish a FCP output to dotMac?

When making a movie in iMovie08 there is an easy option to publish in various sizes to dotMac. When doing so, the new movie will get an entry in the movie (and picture) _gallery.
    When analysing my iDisk the movie has received a six digit number in the directory Web/Sites/_gallery/ <six digit number>.

Very nice this works from iMovie08 ... but I want a little bit more control :D over my editing than iMovie.

So, how can I publish from FCP (or FCE)?

Regards
    Coen

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Export from FCP using Compressor ... choose the appropriate codec for encoding and then upload to your .Mac site.

-DH

3. tcgjeukens thread starter macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

DH,

Exporting using compressor in m4v format is not the issue.
    The REAL issue is the uploading to dotMac.

iMovie08 does a bit of magic when uploading: It assigns a dix digit number, it creates an entry in the gallery TOC and it creates a number of jpg's.

I CAN create all the jpg's and m4v's ... but I do not know how to assign a number and how to link it into the gallery TOC.

Any user experiences.

A "share" button in FCE or FCP would be a nice feaure ....

Coen

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Sorry ... I'm not at all familiar with iMovie ... but couldn't you output a DV file from FCP, then import that file into iMovie and then "share" as you normally would?

-DH

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I've gone from FCP to iWeb, by exporting an H.264 encoded .mov file and putting that on my iWeb site. I am not aware of a "publish" feature in FCP that does everything automatically.

- Martin

6. tcgjeukens thread starter macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

DH,

Of course I can "print to tape" my FCP result and import in iMovie08.
    This is a do-able work around ... and maybe so far the only ... but thinking :apple: - there must be a more easy way.

Doing the print-to-tape and re-import in iMovie08:
    - is longer
    - loose quality upon re-import (as I am shooting HDV)
    - loose control when iMovie "compresses" the HDV into m4v (would rather like FCP compressor handle the job)
    - duplication of projects
    - .... using FCP I do not like iMovie08 :cool:

Question: any alternative to the iMovie re-import route?

Coen

7. cdarlington1 macrumors regular

cdarlington1

FCP to DotMac

I highly doubt there will every be a 'auto' way to go from FCP to dotmac. I have used FCP to Compressor then to iWeb for the automated way. I also just throw a .mov file into my sites folder and send the link

homepage.mac.com/username/filename.mov

works like a charm...

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

This is typical of many "pro" applications, really. There are more choices and more control for every step along the way, so it would be really difficult to design such an "auto-upload" feature that does the encoding and uploading to a website.

Now one thing you could do is automate the upload by adding a script to the "Actions" pane in Compressor, to transfer the generated .mov file to your webserver. Save this as a new preset in Compressor so that you can reuse it whenever your clip needs to be updated. It'll save you the step of manually uploading the file after it has been rendered, while still giving you full control over everything. Would that be helpful?

- Martin

9. tcgjeukens thread starter macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

Martin,

1) Exporting in FCP using Compressor is not the issue
    2) Uploading to any site (or iWeb) is not the issue
    3) Automating step 1 & 2 is not the issue
    The issue is to upload a movie to dotMac Gallery.

dotMac Gallery uses a specific folder structure on dotMac.

Reverse engineering of what iMovie08 does:
    a) It "compresses" a iMovie08 project into a m4v file ... I can do that with FCP
    b) It assigns a six-digit number to the movie ... I can not detect the logic is number assigment
    c) It creates a folder on dotMac: Web/Sites/_gallery/ <six digit number> ... I can create the folder but do not know what number to use (see b)
    d) It uploads the m4v file to that folder ... I can do that
    e) It generates a number of pictures to populate the Gallery TOC ... I can create thos pictures
    f) It links the <six digit> folder to the Gallery TOC including text identifying the TOC entry ... this I CAN NOT DO ... because I can not find the TOC where the links are maintained :mad:

For example have a look at my Gallery playground on dotMac. These movie examples are created and uploaded via iMovie08.

So Martin, ref: "Would that be helpful?" ... I need more help.

Thanks
    Coen

10. coolmemin macrumors member

This might solve your problem

I was looking for a way to do this and stumbled on a workaround by accident and is what I've been doing so far. Let me know if you like it. What you can do is compress to the sizes you want using compressor, then drag them into Iphoto and publish the webgallery from there. It allows you to put in videos :) ...who would've thought??? You can see an example of my uploaded videos using iphoto here:
    http://gallery.mac.com/galvarez22#gallery