Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJED DV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
I took a photo and increased the Threshold in Motion 2, so the image looks very blown out. When I play the file in Motion or export it to QuickTime the video plays as it should. However, when I import the video into FCP and render it, the piece of video that has the Threshold filter appears to get dim and then brighten. When going through the rendered video frame-by-frame, it looks like something is over that particular image and lifts at a certain point in the movie, making the image appear to brighten.

I went back to my Motion file and nothing is overlapping the image in the original file. This leads me to believe that something is happening when Final Cut Pro is rendering the file. I've also tried importing the original Motion file and have gotten the same result.

Anyone know what might be happening here?

Proto Media

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2006
Gnar Cal
animation codec

most likely what you are seeing is a render error. you have two options: you can either export the movie from motion as an animation codec, then import that file into FCP, or you can try and trash the render files from FCP (the one specifically for the clip you are having trouble with) if you go into where your media is captured, there should be another folder called render files, go in there and delete those. they wont delete any of your footage, but you will have to re-render everything that wasnt real time. I ususally do this at the end of a project, so that I have all clean render files, instead of the million that pile up from rendering as you work. hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.