FCP Supposed to take this long?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PhixionFilms, Jul 17, 2009.

1. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I dont usually export in 1280x720, i think the last time i did was about 6 months ago on my imac 2.8. But i recently purchased a new uMBP 13" 2.53, 4 Gb ram and when i extract it, its taking about 2 hours. I do not remember it taking that long on my imac. If im mistaken, and it does take this long, is there any faster way to speed it up without sacrificing quality?

Oh, I extracted with quick time conversion, with settings all regular (high) with size 1280x720

2. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Could do with knowing what format your video is in and what format your exporting too.

Your iMac is of course 0.27 Ghz faster, Possible has a real graphics cards instead of integrated graphics, and a faster hard drive. All of which could speed things up significantly.

3. PhixionFilms thread starter macrumors 6502

I knew i was forgetting something.. The video was captured in SD, not HD, and its a Quicktime movie file format. Any ideas?

4. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

So it's DV? 4x3? Widescreen?

Why are you exporting it as 720? And to what format are you exporting it to? HDV, Pro Res H.264?

You really need to give some more info, I'm very confused as to why you need to export it as 720.

Also any filters that you have used? and the length of the sequence.

5. PhixionFilms thread starter macrumors 6502

Im trying to export it in 720 because I wanted to have it 720 on youtube. Is this the correct way to be going at it?
    Im using a Panasonic GS320, shot with SD onto a mini DV tape. I imported it with DV NTSC Anamorphic and it was shot in 16:9. Here is a picture of my Audio / Video settings.
    Im compressing it in h.264

Even when i try and export it in NTSC 720 x 486 16:9 it still is taking about an hour.

This is just standard taping, no effects or special rendering.

[​IMG]

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1. It's hard to determine what's taking so long when we don't know things like how long the source video you're encoding is, what your drive configuration is, etc.

2. Converting material that originated as DV NTSC 16:9 to 1280x720 is pointless and would actually make the video look worse because you're upscaling the video by a significant margin.

I would use Compressor and make a custom 2-pass H.264 setting (with streaming enabled, of course) that outputs to 853x480 in square pixels to preserve proper 16:9 framing for YouTube. I think this would yield the best viewing quality in your situation.

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

If your source is only SD you are tricking youtube into believing it is HD.

Why would you want to do this? Just because you are exporting it in HD doesn't mean that the quality will be HD?

But in answer to your question. Exporting a 20 minute film I made from final cut took 5 hours with similar settings on a 2.4GHz whitebook!

So As long as your not exporting like 30 seconds I say just leave it over night and have your movie fresh in the morning!

8. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Yer, Sound normal considering your timeline settings and output settings.
    Your best just uploading it as SD or using compressor to do the upscaling cause FCP is terrible at it.