FCP, Toast and aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tmccambridge, Jul 1, 2008.

1. tmccambridge macrumors newbie

Hiya

I created an animation in After Effects, exported it as a quicktime animation movie with 720x405 dimensions. I then put all my clips together in final cut pro, with settings as 'Custom 16:9', 720x405 DV-PAL.

I then save my movie out as a Quicktime movie, and when I play it back, it looks fine at the 16:9 aspect ratio etc when I play it back on my mac.

HOWEVER: When I import it into Toast, it's automatically setting the size to 720x576, and thus when burnt and played back on a computer it plays back at completely the wrong aspect ratio.

How can I avoid this?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You'll need to export from FCP using the Quicktime Exporter, in the Options window under Movie Settings you'll find a button marked "Size" in there is a check box for "preserve aspect ratio using:" and then a drop down that includes the ever wonderful Letterbox option!!

Select PAL 720x576 4:3 for dimensions, and then letterbox for preserved aspect ratio, you'll get a new video in 720x576 that plays your original content back correctly letterboxed in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

I'm not sure which codecs Toast likes, but DV Stream is a good bet, if not H264 is probably your best bet. The problem lies in the way Toast deals with the MPEG2 encoding which must be a 720x576 4:3 aspect image.

This should cure the problem, or you could simply use iDVD to author your work.

Attached Files: