FCP use gpu power?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cpnotebook80, Mar 17, 2010.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I installed a 4870 ati card from apple in my mac pro
    in fcp, the left viewer plays the video fine but when I increase the size of video to 50% or larger it starts to stutter
    I have 10gb of ram too
    not sure with all that resources including 512mb on video card , why is it not smooth
    what's the point of having a high end card if the software doesn't utilize it except games. Unless Im doing something wrong
    any advice
    thanks
    see sig for my mp specs

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Video / film editing applications don't really use the GPU, only the CPU, unless some filters rely on GPU use, but for normal editing the CPU is used, and the GPU only displays it.

What kind of video do you edit and what kind of display quality settings do you use?

3. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The videos are HD 60fps and some 30fps
    but with a mac pro one would assume things would run smoothly
    I have yet to try the filters on the video
    not sure what apps harness gpu power or of CPU is more better in doing things for that.
    My iMovie is the samespeed when exporting to DVD or other file format when I used the 2600xt vid card

dispplay is 1680 Rez

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The GPU has nothing to do with exporting from iMovie to iDVD.

Have you RT Unlimited enabled?

What sequence and project settings do you use?

5. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have had RT safe enabled
    Im at work now so not at the computer.
    I know video quality was set to dynamic too.

but my real beef is what is the purpose of having a high end card in the system if basic OS apps cant utilize its potential except for powering up monitors...
    :rolleyes:

thanks for helping out btw.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Actually Final Cut Studio would be the perfect match for OpenCL which as I am sure you are aware allows applications to use the GPU to help in processing non graphical data.

Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere make use of similar technologies on Window if I remember correctly.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Those apps do use the video card, just not for what you expect them to.

When you playback a video file you are playing a preview of the video. Your CPU is generating that preview and the GPU is pushing that info to the displays in the color space and resolution that you set your computer to show.

For you my friend, we need to know not just the format of the video, but the codec as well. We need to know:

1. Resolution of the video, not just HD, is it 1920x1080i or p 1440x1080, 1280x720, etc?

2. The Codec being used, HDV, H.264, ProRes, DVCPRO HD?

3. The sequence settings, a big one. 99% of the issues with FCP come from the sequence. FCP DOES have an open timeline but if it's anything other than the exact sequence settings you'll have to render it out. The line at the top of the timeline can be a dull green, not bright green but dull, which means you'll have to do some rendering. That line pops up when source footage doesn't match sequence footage by the smallest margin.

Those are the main questions we have, there are others that are smaller, but we'll get to those first.

On a side note, Motion 3 does use the GPU for play back of animations while in the app, and apps like Aperture, iPhoto and many other heavily visual apps like iWorks Keynote DO use the GPU as well. Displaying those millions of flashing, color changing pixels takes a lot of work.

8. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a