FCP video over firewire - I've tried everything!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by georgelyoung, Jun 12, 2008.

1. georgelyoung macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm possibly being thick, but this is driving me mad. I have a mac pro (2008), and Final Cut. I'm trying to output my video over firewire, through my Canon MD101, and then out to a TV for monitoring purposes.
    Having spent 4 hours searching online, I'm none the wiser - I just can't get any view on my camcorder's 2.5" screen. I've ticked the external video>all frames thing. I've refreshed, and tried all combinations of DV outputs, and flipped between rec and play mode on my camcorder (surely play is the correct one). I've also restarted many times, and done all of that generally obvious stuff, but still nothing.
    Strangely, if I do unplug the firewire connection, all the output video options go, so FC is obviously recognising my camcorder!
    Please please help!
    Many thnaks
    GY

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

FCP video over firewire

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301506

3. georgelyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that link, but that was in fact one of the first things i found when googling. Nothing seems to work, so I wondered if anyone else had encountered a similar problem. One page did mention deleting FCP prefs, and its cache, but the doc referred only to FCP3, and I didn't really want to be rooting around in my library files!

4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

FCP video over firewire

Yeah, I get a feeling that it's one of those simple obvious settings that seems to get overlooked. Although, I don't know what that is as I don't use an external monitor these days. But, I remember encountering something like this before and the solution was just a matter of remembering something to flick muck like a light switch and it worked.

have you played around with the camera's settings?

5. sassvideo macrumors newbie

Have You Resolved this issue???

I have the exact same camera and the exact same problem. Did you figure anything out?

Thanks,

Daniel

6. georgelyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately I think it is actually just that our camera doesn't do this. If I had know I might have pumped an extra £20 for a different model! You can't record something you have edited on your computer back to tape - ie, the firewire I believe is only one way in terms of video signal.
    bit of an arse! as a work around, you could grab one of those video out adapters (£15), but they don't work with some graphics cards, and obviously require an extra slot. Either that, or if you are using a new digital tele, then it's obviously no problem! That's what i'm saving for atm.
    If you do come up with an answer thou, please do post here! Would be v useful to be monitoring on a proper tele!