FCP vs Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Pwpw, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Pwpw macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have an opportunity to purchase Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 for $350 through my job.
    I will be editing mostly video from my Canon HF S20. Will the CS5.5 be just as able to do the job as FCP? There seems to be a preference for FCP.

I'll be editing home movies and helping friends with their documentaries.

Is there any significant drawback to Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5?
    Thanks for the help.
    PWpw

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

They're both the same in terms of principle. It's just a matter of what you're more comfortable with. Go into and Apple Store and play with FCP X, take one of their intro classes. Then download the Adobe trial and play with that. Every editor has their preference, but they'll both do exactly what you want them to do, it's just a matter of what you're most comfortable using.

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The OP was talking about FCP, not FCX. Final Cut Pro, though being discontinued is a great program even if it's rather old and outdated. However, if you compare FCX to Premiere Pro... then that's a different story. Premiere Pro is way better than FCX as it stands now. Premiere pro seems to have a stable future and who knows what Apple is going to do with FCX, or how long they are going to take to fix it. :confused: Adobe seems to be way more committed to their professional apps than Apple.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

True, but the fact is Apple calls FCP X Final Cut PRO...and also the fact that we don't have a roadmap for FCP 7 beyond X, and you can't actually BUY it anywhere within Apple's world...one HAS to assume...FCP X. Otherwise, I'd go hit eBay for FCP 7/FCS 3 copies. But didn't seem the OP was looking for a truly PRO app, otherwise FCPX...even with its limited capabilities, could be a decent solution as it DOES actually have advantages over the others.

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Is it just Adobe Premiere Pro, or the Production Premium suite? If it's the latter then it's a no-brainer.

If it's only Adobe Premiere Pro, check what you can do about the sound. As far as I know, there's Adobe Sound Booth for the sound, and you need to check how much you can do without it.

Anyway, you can always take a look at FCP X in its v1 stage of incipient development to a fully fleshed out software.

6. MacStu09 macrumors regular

FCP7 will probably do what the OP wants. I can still buy the full version of FCS 3 for $299. So, verses adobe premiere pro, I choose purchasing the entire FCS 3. While the new premiere is obviously better than FCP7 as far as capabilities, my comfortability with FCP 7 and its price within the entire studio leans me towards it rather than premiere.

However, premiere vs. FCPX is a no brainer. Premiere. I honestly have to ask what advantages FCPX has over the new premiere? I can not find a single one. But I can find several advantages the new premiere has over X.

7. mBox, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

mBox macrumors 68020

It seems the op has more control over his/her production. This would be great time to learn FCPX. Unless your company expects you to start buying different high end cameras, full on production and a budget for I/O cards, I honestly think FCPX at the ground level would be a decent start.
    I wish I started video editing with FCPX. I had to use Premiere 2.0 :p

8. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

I am have been using Premiere CS5 and having been playing with FCPx for a few days now. The advantages of FCPx over Premier I think are the more intuitive editing set up, especially once you get used to a single viewer rather than a canvas/viewer arrangement. The background rendering is also a real plus in terms of being able to see things in real time right after adding effects/transitions.

In terms of capabilities though I am finding FCPx to be a bit lacking. While the new color adjustments are a powerful tool I wish they had included some of the traditional adjustments as well. Also I find myself missing things like channel blur and other "effects" that allowed fine control over problematic footage. It just doesn't have the same depth in the tool set that Premier has or FCP 7 had.

9. dtechlogic macrumors regular

So far i have been using Adobe Premiere Production Suite 5.5 and i like it. I want to use FCS3 but it took me forever to understand it but i still want to learn it. Also Anyone of you guys knows were they offer class for FCS3

10. handsome pete macrumors 68000

It might not be a good idea to invest a lot of money in a class or classes to learn a dying piece of software. I would look at online tutorials instead, or get a Lynda account.

11. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Agree. Either go for Adobe Premiere or FCP X.

I had similar thoughts. I started with FCP 6, but now, with FCP X out, I'd be mad learning it. I'll go straight to FCP X.

12. Pwpw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the input. I was able to buy the entire Adobe CS 5.5 Production Premium Suite for $360. So I went with Adobe. Once again,Thanks for the help.
    Pwpw

13. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

$360?

You're the lucky one!

14. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Nope. Final Cut Pro 7 doesn't handle AVCHD footage natively. Although Final Cut Pro X does, it's an entirely different program than Premiere 5.5. If it's the full CS 5.5 production suite and you have the time and energy to learn it, then that is the better option. Otherwise, try iMovie and if you like that, consider Final Cut Pro x

15. 25ghosts macrumors regular

Spoken like a true "I dont know what the H I am talking about"

PPRO 5.5 and FCP or FCPx have LITTLE in common. Latter is has NOTHING to do with the first two...

It you give advice... Make sure it is TRUE !!!

16. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Premiere and FCP have a lot in common. Not sure how you'd disagree with that.

FCPX on the other hand is a different story.

17. mBox macrumors 68020

Well from an learning perspective, I think their all the same. If your learning to edit video and output creative work, I dont see the diff between all three.
    now if you want to add 3rd party peripherals, the ability to work in a mix medium environment then maybe take FCPX out of the loop...for now :)

18. kolax macrumors G3

Adobe's Suite is worth it just for After Effects alone.

19. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Little input

I was able to jump right into Premire just with what I knew from FCP. of course I didn't know all, nor did I in my 30 day trial. I like parts of FCX, though as we all know it needs some serious fixes.
    Obviously these programs are not cheap, I'm saving for the "switch", IMO I think learning FCX and Premiere are important, mainly because were not sure how FCX will be received after the bugs are fixed.
    Just a for instance, my local San Fransico CBS news wanted iMovie 11 editors. Not saying iMovie will be their main editing program, not sure why they even posted that job, unless it was for simple AVCHD video from basic camcorders...??

My plan at least is to at least have get the switch, learn more Adobe. Plus at the price I get After Effects at last! which I have wanted bad, except it was to expensive for what I did, now I need it since my skills have improved. Not to mention every job I look at asks for Aftet Effects.

Not to leave out AVID. I know that's the big gun, but out of my price range for sure, plus it's not what I need thankfully, but I want to learn it, like many programs.
    I did like the video on Adobes site about how they made The Social Network with Premiere. Cool video for editors. Should check it out if you haven't.

20. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The Social Network was actually edited in Final Cut. They did the conforming in After Effects, but used Premiere to get it there from FCP. Premiere was merely a delivery agent.

The more impressive aspect is how they used After Effects.