FCP X - Advanced tweaking of dissolve?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by laserbeam273, Feb 7, 2012.

1. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

I've finally gotten around to making my first project in FCP X after half a year of collecting footage - have to say, I'm quite impressed! Though I'm still trying to figure out where everything is.

One thing I'm having trouble with is changing the dissolve rate from a basic linear dissolve to something more custom. How do you do this?

What I'm really looking to do is have the first half of the fade in a bit slower and the second half faster. I'm bringing in a logo on a white background, so the moment it appears, it's pretty bold.

I'm assuming this can be done, as linear might be nice for computers, but for humans you really need to take into account our logarithmic perception...

2. mBox, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

mBox macrumors 68020

Not a fix but use Opacity key-frames then go into Animation editor and play with the linear to curve.

3. laserbeam273 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Select the transition and open inspector (command + 4), you can then adjust the dissolve using 10 different "Looks" and you can also adjust the amount that the different adjustment will show. Some of the adjustments you can make to the look of cross dissolve will bring in the new image sooner, while others will make it appear later, etc.

5. markbot macrumors newbie

If you have Motion 5, it would be really simple to make one with the exact fade timing and duration that you want. Then it would be reusable as well.

6. laserbeam273 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip. I ended up using this method for one of the transitions, and I'm using the composition - opacity tweaking of keyframes for others, particularly where I want a close fade to black, but not completely. Good to have a lot of tools in the box!