FCP X beach balls

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Apr 1, 2014.

1. puckhead193, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm having issues all of a sudden with FCP X. Every time I click on anything i get a beach ball. When playing the sequence, if I hit the space bar to play the clip it freezes. Once it does finally start to play and I want to stop, hit the space bar. It continues to play. Then finally it stops...
    Anyone else beach balling like crazy. Everything was fine, then all of a sudden.. poof. So much for the nMP built for FCP X :mad:

edit - Apple made FCP X and knows how bad it is. They make the nMP for FCP X. The nMP looks like a trashcan ..maybe it's a sign that apple knows FCP X belongs in the trash. :p

2. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Does anyone have a clue what this means? I googled around and it says that media is missing/out of sync. None of my clips are missing. So I don't get it..

Attached Files:

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

What background processing does the status screen show? Sounds like its doing something in the background or you have another app hogging CPU. Have you tried to restart the Mac?

4. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

I get the same thing happen & have put it down to being 'one of those things' that will probably be sorted in the next couple of updates - it's almost as if FCPX caches the video data & then says 'hang on a minute, I've made all this effort playing this timeline - the least you can do is watch the darn thing!'

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I've restarted multiple times. Tired different tb ports for my scratch drive. Unplug everything that doesn't need to be plugged in. I'm at a total lost. I checked out activity monitor and don't see anything. All apps are closed except fcp x

6. ChrisA, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

ChrisA macrumors G4

What does "Activity Monitor" show? What else is running? Also have yo tried looking at the command-9

You can have FCP do all kinds of different things in the background to your media. The command-9 display will show them to you. If you don't want this done then fix it is the preferences pane.

Finally I ask what storage device you video files are on? Is this a slow USB drive, an SSD or what?

This kind of thing also happen when you have defective hardware. The system is doing a ga-zillion re-tries on some failing disk or whatever. Sometimes this gets logged in /var/log/system.log

I see the beach ball in my iMac sometimes and it was worse when I was telling FCPX to do just about "everything" to the imported video file, looking for faces, analyzing audio and video color and transcoding to ProRes files. All that stuff would run for an hour and hog the CPU big time. You can throttle this down.

7. daybreak, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

daybreak macrumors 6502a

Two different questions. Should be different thread. Beach Ball. With this new version FCP will store your media on the drive you tell. Check your Time Machine for back ups. As FCP10.1 iwii store your backup on that drive and could be full?
    The other question. Its telling you a clip is not connected to the project in your library. If you click on it it will open a box asking you if you wish to locate this clip on your hard drive.
    When you updated this clip may not have transferred in the procces.
    I have had both of those issues and solved them with the above statement. It may not be in your case.

8. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

The Background rendering has nothing going on. All say idle. The files are on a Gtech TB drive that is basically new. Attached is my activity monitor both CPU and Memory. I don't have FCP "Analyze" anything so all those options are checked off

I don't have a Time Machine Back up both iOS or my scratch drive. When I click on the triangle nothing happens.

Attached Files:

9. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Interesting - I'm too using a G-Tech TB Raid for my media! are you running it striped or mirrored?

What format is your native video footage? I remember trying to edit on 10.1 with native mt2s files & the beach ball would be almost continuous, so I then transcoded the clips to Prores & everything was rosey.

I also seem to get worse beach balling when trying to scrub through multicam clips, however this clears up after a couple of minutes (almost like it's caching)

----------

One other thing OP, make sure you go to http://www.apple.com/feedback and let them know about your problem!

Everytime I've done this regarding other issues on FCPX, Someone from the FCPX team has always got back to me & asked for more info/logs etc. My issues have always been completely fixed in the next point update so the system does work!

10. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

11. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I tried deleting my prefs files... that didn't work. What I ended up doing was starting all over again.. Luckily I wasn't too far into the project.

That is an awesome article! Thanks! It's being bookmarked for future reference. (although I hope I don't need it :p)