FCP X/Compressor: needs 5 hours to create file

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sunandsurf, May 19, 2013.

1. sunandsurf macrumors regular

just wondering if it's typical for a Mac Mini with 16 gigs of RAM to take about 5 hours to render a one hour video?

i'm not particularly worried but it seems like a very long time for an hour of video.

mainly looking for confirmation that that's just the way it is.

thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

RAM has almost nothing to do with transcoding speeds, the CPU is the one, that gets taxed for transcoding and rendering tasks.

What CPU with what frequency do you use and what is the source file's video codec and what settings do you use in Compressor to create what kind if file?

3. sunandsurf thread starter macrumors regular

probably not everything you're asking for but here's some info that may help:

processor: 2.3 GHz Core i7, memory: 16 gb 1600MHz DDR3, graphics: intel hd graphics 4000 768 mb

output settings: HD for Apple devices (5 Mbps)

i'm sure you're right; the processor is the thing that can make it fly; obviously with a simple Mac Mini, i'm not working with a computer on steroids :eek:

4. simsaladimbamba

How did you export the finished sequence from FCP X then and what settings did you use? Tried exporting a ProRes file and then using Compressor? Are all apps up to date?

While not 100% relevant, you might get an idea or two, what is involved in video editing and how codecs play a large role.

Video Compression
    Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

5. sunandsurf thread starter macrumors regular

i'm clearly a newbie but i hope this answer helps: from FCP X, i simply chose Export to Compressor. by default, it used the file i was working on as the source and as for Settings, i chose the standard HD for Apple devices (5 mbps); that is, it's not a custom setting. yes, ProRes.

no, not completely up to date: FCP 10.0.7 and Compressor 4.0.5

based on these basic facts, wouldn't you say that you would expect Compressor to take hours to complete the task? as i look at my History window, it says that there are SIX hours to go! by the way, if i'm not mistaken, i'm not so sure that the history window is particularly accurate! but as a rough gauge, i'm planning on just letting it run and when i wake up, i hope it'll be done!

thanks for the links and your help.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I generate 2 or 3 hour long finished videos a week on my MBP. I've found that exporting directly to Compressor doesn't work well (it often hangs and never completes). Instead I do a File-->Share-->Master File and export ProRes 422 LT, then run Compressor on that.

7. sunandsurf thread starter macrumors regular

dude! you are a god-send! i never thought of doing that! many, many thanks!

8. sunandsurf thread starter macrumors regular

talny, i'm testing your idea now and i see that the output file for a 55 minute video clip is going to be around 37 GB! is that typical???

9. simsaladimbamba

For 1080p it is quite small, for 720p it is an acceptable file size, as you use an editing codec to export, those file sizes are to be expected.

The AJA Data Rate Calculator can help you calculate file sizes.

10. sunandsurf thread starter macrumors regular

talmy, i just tried what you suggested and i'm blown away! why? because instead of 7 HOURs, it took about 1 hour! a huge difference!

and sim, thanks for the confirmation that the file size is okay.

i'm in shock! what a tremendous difference; hurray!

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Glad to be of service. Because of my limited time (I lecture 1-2 hours in an evening and want to edit (I use a video cam and screen capture simultaneously), add chapter markers and get videos up for my students by the next morning) I've done a lot of experimenting with workflows!

12. sunandsurf thread starter macrumors regular

It's been a long time since you helped me with my question and I just happened to see this old thread but I did want to thank you once again! Hoping all is well with you!

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Thanks. I'm now retired and haven't done a video of my lectures since June 2015. I've still used FCPX for some personal projects since and now find it quite relaxing without the time pressure!

14. sunandsurf thread starter macrumors regular

Enjoy your retirement years! Best wishes!