FCP X -- How to Save?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Oct 3, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So I had worked on a project for a few hours then walked away from my Mac for about 45 minutes came back and hit the "X" button to close FCP X and I forgot to "save". I've been looking for that button for a few hours and couldn't find it, so my question is where did my work go and where are the "Resume" settings in System Pref so I can make sure this is auto-saving.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah it seems my event when I reopen doesn't let me edit, like my timeline is there but it's all one video and not all of my splices. Thanks for the info, working on a resolution.

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

This really sucks, all the hours I put into editing are gone. I opened the new event and it had no timeline, any ideas anyone how to bring these back? I can't start from scratch again.

5. Badradio macrumors 6502

I think you're confusing the terms. You need to open the project you were working on (the project browser is accessed through the button on the bottom left of the screen). An event is just a bin full of clips; your edits are in the project that may or may not reference an event.

Hope that helps.

6. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

At the bottom left all I can do is create a new folder and add a new project. Up a the top is my Chris folder, and I didn't click on his name which is all blurred out and it has all the files but I can't seem to get the timeline. Am I missing something?

Attached Files:

7. Badradio macrumors 6502

That's not good. Have you removed the drive you were editing on? Clutching at straws here - if you've done any editing at all (added a clip to the main timeline) you must have had a project, and now you have none. If you haven't changed the default locations, open a Finder window, and go to Movies > Final Cut Projects and see if the project is in there. If it is, open it and see if it's fixed. Something has gone wrong, but by default, FCPX saves automatically every few seconds, so even if it's lost the link to the project, the project should still exist.

8. simsaladimbamba

Is the HDD with the media and the project on it connected?
    If so, what does Finder show you in the Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects folder?

[​IMG]

clickable thumbnail
    [​IMG]

9. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

To answer you both I have saved my project on my HDD in the MacBook Pro. Here is a picture of whats in Finder. Nothing is in the Final Cut Projects folder either only Events.

Let me ask this as well: When I imported the initial clips into FCP X and then converted to the TimeLine would I have needed to create a folder in the bottom left? -- Because from my understanding when you create the TimeLine and do edits it automatically create a Project.

Attached Files:

10. Badradio macrumors 6502

Ok, I think I know what's going on. From what I can tell, you've imported a bunch of clips, right-clicked on one, and then selected Open in Timeline. Any edits you've done are isolated to just that clip. You haven't created a project yet, so you can't combine multiple clips together (unless doing so creates a compound clip - not tried that yet).

You've not lost your edits (I don't think) but you're not actually editing on the main timeline, rather on the sub-timeline that is present in each clip.

Create a new project, find the clip you were editing and add it to the main timeline - the one that's open by default in a new project. I'm not sure if the edits you've done are destructive, but the clip should play within the main timeline with the edits intact. Then you can add other clips before/after it and combine multiple clips together that way.

11. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I think you're right. I was just taking the imported clip and right clicking. I didn't realize I needed to make a folder, and project. Also it doesn't save edits for a clip the way I did it, starting from scratch it looks like.

12. Badradio macrumors 6502

That sucks - bad luck. I'd recommend taking a quick tour through the basic editing section of the help file before you start again, though. I've used a few NLE apps, but I still took a refresher on FCPX, mainly because you can't assume things work the same with this app. I learned a lot of workflow tips that way too.

BTW - just create a new project and the folder will be created automatically - no need to create one manually.