FCP X Quality Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cyrup, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Cyrup macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've recently been doing a lot of editing in FCP X, mostly with Screen recording, for speed drawings & such.
    I just finished exporting a project, and started up a new one. After importing my next lot of raw footage, I placed it on the timeline, and did some retiming to 20x (Over the whole clip. Speed drawing).

Other then some image quality loss on previous projects, which were only due to the settings I was recording at, I've never had this issue before.

Basically, once I had retimed the Clip, I full screened play back to get an overall feel of what was going on in the video.
    The thing is, the original file was HD, at least 780p. When I played it back, it dropped signifcantly to almost 480p... Even less. The entire video looked very un professional and out of focus, not to mention near impossible to see. However, as soon as I hit the space bar, the clip went automatically back to 780p, every time.
    It did the same when I wasn't even in full screen...

So yeah, I don't really know what to do.
    Yes, I did render the clip. I will try importing and retiming etc again, maybe that will change.
    Is this a play back issue or a simple mistake? Any other ideas? Help?

Info:
    The original screen recording was taken at 1980x980, Apple ProRes (Actually I can't remember exactly.. Will get back with correct info soon, and the codecs/format)
    iShowUHD

Thanks in advance!

2. jordymac5049 macrumors newbie

A few things.....

Although it does seems like this is the issue, check your "project" settings. These are defined in FCX by the first clip you drag into the timeline. So, for example, if you were adding music to the time-lapse of you drawing then the project settings would conform to the quality of the music and NOT your clips.

Also, whenever something weird like this happens, try a quick export. Nice thing about digital editing is that you can delete the export and regain the HD space.

Can you try and create the video again w/o re-timing and see what happens?

It would be helpful to see your iShowUHD settings as well. I've been disappointed by footage through this program.
    Let me know.