FCP X Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by apost90, Aug 17, 2016.

1. apost90 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, first time poster here.

I'm a filmmaker that has used FCP since high school but I've never done intense grading with it (just minor adjustments). I'm currently in the process of upgrading my system to a Mac Pro to be able to handle the 4K workflow my DP shoots in. He does the color grading on Resolve, which is a great program from grading but I don't like it as much as an NLE.

My question is, does FCP X's grading system work well enough to avoid having to buy/learn Resolve for my grading? I know that there's a free version of Resolve available, but I've read that you can't export anything above 2K out of there and back into FCP with the grade intact (if I'm wrong about that please chime in). I would prefer to keep everything in house with FCP X, but I am looking to up my grading skills and Resolve is a great software for doing so. Any suggestions?

2. Chung123, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

Final Cut Pro X has a color correction tools built in, but you can also look at something like Color Finale www.colorgradingcentral.com that allows you to apply LUTs and do all kinds of magic to your footage. You can also look at the products from Red Giant. Color Finale has a demo available so you can try and see if it works for you.

3. apost90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you feel that FCP X has a good enough grading system that I can do my coloring on it and bypass purchasing Davinci Resolve?

4. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

Unfortunately as an enthusiast.. I can't answer that. I do know that Color Finale is pretty darn powerful for what it is. You might get some better answers here: http://www.fcp.co/forum/index That is a great Final Cut Pro resource.

5. apost90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. Thank you for your help, Color Finale does look very nice for coloring purposes which is good because I'd really like to avoid purchasing Resolve if I can.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

No, Comparing the two are night and day. But it really depends on what you are dong with it. If you're just doing slight adjustments then ok, but if you're applying it as an artistic effect then no.

7. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

8. mBox macrumors 68020

I've graded a slew of shorts/music and one feature with Resolve round-tripped from FCPX/Pp/Avid and can never go back to the FCPX/Pp/Avid Symphony options.
    However, Color Finale would be a decent addition to FCPX as far as base/first light goes.
    You can take it to the next level but depends on your workload and type of correction.
    Its a bit much for if your doing a ton of secondary/isolation work.
    That you will def need Resolve.

9. hsilver macrumors regular

As the other responses have pointed out you can do good overall color correction and apply LUTS to log and RAW footage in FCPX –which would be common color spaces for 4K footage.

You could probably do this on a high-end iMac as well as a MacPro (both are due for an update soon.)

Also the round-tripping between FCPX and Resolve is very easy and well worked out. If you need to do more advanced color work like traveling mattes over specific objects or parts of objects or a thousand other things, you can buy a full version of Resolve Studio on eBay for as low as $300. It comes free with purchase of a BlackMagic camera and many buyers sell theirs.

Great advantage in using Resolve is doing an overall LUT from RAW or log and outputting ProRes for editing and round-tripping back at end for final color work. Learning curve is high but many tutorials on YouTube and can do so much more than any NLE.

10. mBox macrumors 68020

Resolve Lite is free and works with Quad HD which is the lowest form of 4K.

11. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5