FCP X retime a portion of a clip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xizar, Oct 4, 2011.

1. xizar macrumors regular

If I want to retime only a portion of a clip (for example, to slow down a specific move in a fight scene or something like that) do I have to chop the clip up into sections?

I ask, because whenever I try to do a range selection on a clip, hoping to retime just that one part, the retime thingie expands to encompass the entire clip with a "one speed fits all" mechanic.

Messing with the "ramp speed <to zero> <from zero>" implies that I should be able to do sections, but I haven't figured out a way to really define those sections. (On that note, I wish there were a way to ramp speeds to or from something other than zero.)

I'm leery of chopping of clips will-you nill-you as there doesn't seem to be a way to put them back together.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It sounds like you have one clip that needs to be chopped to so that each portion can have its own unique retime speed, the way to do that is use the blade function to cut it into pieces and then retime each segment.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I wanted to try out optical flow and ended up with one clip that had a section retimed (slower).

Even though the retimed section was just 5 seconds it took forever to O.F. ~1min of video. Ok, maybe a little longer than that since the machine hit 100c and eventually gave me the message to reboot lol. The process monitor thing or whatever its called when I rebooted leads me to believe it was a kernel panic event.

The O.F. did work though.

I tried again by blading the section to use optical flow and it processed much faster since it was doing only that one 'clip' and no machine issues.

5. xizar thread starter macrumors regular

Well, specifically I want like the first part at normal speed, some middle part fast, some part after that slow, and then another part at normal speed.

The "one speed/speed variation for everything" thing isn't working for me.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Personally I would blade it up. Seems easier to work with (for me) and then retime.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

Whatever works go for it :)
    Personally I would use AE for that.
    Much better with TimeWarp.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

While I've only fussed around FCP X, I would imagine you can also keyframe speed ramps like in FCP 7.

But I also prefer to blade the pieces the pieces I want and individually time them. In many cases, it's a lot less confusing.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You can, but not with the same precision as the old one. No keyframing curves, only the % range that you can change.

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Ugh.

11. mBox macrumors 68020

Next update?